1752794 Members
6303 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Shut down Cluster, not Management Group

Darren Hutton_1
Occasional Advisor

Shut down Cluster, not Management Group

8 nodes in a Management Group. Split into two clusters of four nodes.

I want to shutdown one of the cluster groups, but not the other. There isn't an option to shut down the cluster group, only management group. Any reason?

I can start to shutdown the nodes indervidually, but I suspect it isn't happy loosing more than one from the cluster this way so haven't gone down this route yet.

3 REPLIES 3
oikjn
Honored Contributor

why do you want to do this?

I guess you could make a script to do it through the CLI, but Quorum will be at risk if you lose one more node.  Any reason why you can't just make two different mgt. groups? 

Darren Hutton_1
Occasional Advisor

In hindsight that would have been ideal. I'm not sure why we ended up with a Management Group broken down into two Clusters.

We have eight nodes in this Maangement Group; four in each Cluster. Each cluster is providing storage to one server, so that's why we seperated into Clusters - but a Management Group would have achevied the same, just with a little more admin overhead. It hasn't presented any other issues, but would have made maintainence and upgrades easier.

In this instance I'm looking to power the server and SAN nodes related to only one of the Clusters to free up capacity for AC work.

Still not sure why you wouldn't be able to shutdown a Cluster within a Management Group...a call to HP I guess.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

If this is simply for a temporary shutdown that isn't on a repeated basis, why not just disconnect each iscsi connections and then shut down each node in that cluster.  I'm sure the mgt. group will scream about losing the nodes, but you should be able to do it without a problem in all of 3 minutes.  If this is something you are trying to do on a regular basis, then you really need to break up that mgt group into two...  I would think HP support should have some sneaky way to do this if you talk with them about splitting the mgt group.