4306 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: StorageWorks P4300 G2 "Hot Swap" Drive Question

b_15101r_14944a
Frequent Visitor

StorageWorks P4300 G2 "Hot Swap" Drive Question

Hello,

I just took over a HP StorageWorks P4300 G2, Management Software Version 10.5, drives are 450Gb 15k SAS

A drive is going bad and I have a replacement drive, my question is are the drives "how-swap", can I just remove the old and insert the new and have it rebuild automatically, or is there a configuration I have to do in the software?

Thanks

B

8 REPLIES 8
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

the drive should be" hot swap" as it is configured on the local nodes raid controller.

Regards

b_15101r_14944a
Frequent Visitor

Thanks

AnkitM
Trusted Contributor

Preparing for a disk replacement differs according to the RAID level of the storage system and whether it is a hot-swap storage system. Carefully plan any disk replacement to ensure data safety, regardless of whether the storage system is hot-swap. The following checklists outline steps to help ensure data remains safe while replacing a disk. Identify physical location of storage system and disk Before beginning the disk replacement process, identify the physical location of both the storage system in the rack and the disk in the storage system.

тАв Know the name and physical location of the storage system that needs the disk replacement.
тАв Know the physical position of the disk in the storage system. See тАЬVerifying disk statusтАЭ for diagrams of disk layout in the various storage systems.
тАв Have the replacement disk ready and confirm that it is of the right size and has the right
carrier.

You may remove and replace a disk from these hot-swap storage systems after checking that the Safe to Remove status indicates тАЬYesтАЭ for the drive to be replaced.

Refer: http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03686039-2.pdf for documentation.

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.
b_15101r_14944a
Frequent Visitor

Thank you

I downloaded the doc and read the section on replacement drives, I am getting the message on page 46 "Predictive Failure (replace right away),

The only thing I cannot find is on page 47 "Safe to Remove" status, if the drive is not  in "Safe to remove" status, how do I place it in that status?

Thank you

B.

a_o
Valued Contributor

At the risk of being terse:

The drives are hot-swapable. I've done it many times.

StoreVirtual would not  be an enterprise level storage solution if they weren't.
I'll channel my inner Shia LaBeouf:

Just Do It.

b_15101r_14944a
Frequent Visitor

Just do it without checking the "Safe to Remove" is on?

a_o
Valued Contributor

Yes.  As long as the there no other problems with the RAID set.

At the bottom of page 34 of the referenced document, see what it says.

On a failing disk, i.e. having not actually failed,  'safe to remove' would never be seen, as it's part of a working RAID set.

b_15101r_14944a
Frequent Visitor

"Normal"

Thank you