1752815 Members
5994 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: StoreVirtual Calculator

Tedh256
Frequent Advisor

so for a B7E17A = 4330 w/8 450GB drives we get 2933 per node / 2 = 1466GB useable. If we have 2 nodes then 2933. If three nodes then 2933+1466= 4399. If four nodes then 4399+1466 ...

Hmm that makes sense - I have always "heard" though that for some reason as you add nodes you lose "less" per node. But thinking about it I guess I'm not sure why you would ....
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

A lot of people makes mistakes here... For NR10 you always loose 50%... Because that is network RAID.

What a lot of people forget is that on the underlying hard disks there is (by default - can be changed to RAID 1) RAID 5 on the disks to protect the data against a hard disk failure, which is still always the case with spinning disks...

So on top of the NR10 (50%) you will loose also the size of 1 physical disk for parity data...

I know some customers who choose for performance and not size, and so set also on the physical disks RAID 1, which ment that every block of data was written 4 times across the cluster... 2 times because of hardware RAID and 2 times because of network RAID...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !