1748136 Members
3372 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

StoreVirtual Site Move/Reconfig

RPMCanes
Contributor

StoreVirtual Site Move/Reconfig

Hello, I have a customer that wants to move from a multi-site to a single site, and physically move nodes into one site.  Should I move the nodes into the new site first, then adjust the cluster to a single-site?  Any guidance would be helpful.  Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: StoreVirtual Site Move/Reconfig

the "problem" you will have to address is figuring out the logistics of the assumed IP changes for the nodes that you are going to move. 

You should definitely keep the site configuration as multi-site until after you physically bring the nodes all to the one site for a number of reasons. (1) you will likely initiate a restripe when you change the site definitions for the nodes which will consume bandwidth which would be better done over the LAN than over a WAN link. (2) the current stripe configuration makes sure your redundancy is across the two sites, if you change it to a single site which also would let you turn off all the nodes at that site and move them over to the primary site without downtime, but that could be ruined if the restripe sends now holds both copies of the data at one site.. 

One thing you will have to think about is if you that company will allow the period of time when the 2nd site is taken offline and when the nodes brought back on site to be "naked" with only a single copy of data.  If they won't allow that, the solution, then I can go into how to best make that happen, but it will depend on the amount of free space in the cluster and will also likely take a number of restripes, but should be possible to move all the nodes between the two sites and maintain data redundancy at all times.

RPMCanes
Contributor

I have a few things in my favor:  There is a single subnet throughout the network, so there is no IP reconfig that needs to take place.  They are a school, so they are not anywhere near as utilized as they would be during the year.  I am only going to deactivate the 2nd site one node at a time.  

oikjn
Honored Contributor

thats nice.

If they can deal with the "risky" period where the nodes are offline, you might as well shut them all down at the one site and move them all at the same time over to the primary site and turn them back on.  Its a very small risk assuming its only down for a few hours, but the alternative is that if you have very low utilization or have some ultra-critical luns, just set them to NR10+2 before you make the move.

The flat network does make things easy on the config side.  THen all you need to do is simply re-assign the nodes to the correct site once they are all on the same site.  If you do move the nodes one at a time, don't change the site locations for any nodes until they are all back together.