6265 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: StoreVirtual VSA and Workload accelerators

Damir I.
Occasional Advisor

StoreVirtual VSA and Workload accelerators

Hi,

looking to test some Workload accelerators with StoreVirtual VSA 2-node cluster. Idea is to put in each server one accelerator card and then make network raid-1 over 10GbE links.  I know they are not built for this purpose but I am interested is this supported configuration with VSA without going thru SPOCK. Anybody doing it already?

Tnx

6 REPLIES 6
HPstorageTom
HPE Pro

VSA is supported on top of any block storage device that is on the Hardware Compatibility List of the hypervisor (Vmware, Hyper-V or KVM) that you want to use.

imadam
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tom,
can you please shed some light on how workload accelerator will operate under StoreVirtual VSA? We are looking to use 800GB Workload accelerator with 4x1.8TB SAS disks and 10TB license where is adaptive optimization included (too bad this is not avaliable in 4TB license). My question is what would happen if this workload accelerator dies while server is running. Let's assume we have 2-node identical cluster. 
Another question is towards 4Tb 3pack licence: Can adaptive optimization be turned on on this licence ? I don't see any SKU for upgrade and I am curios why is this left out in this setup. 

Tnx.

SVprodmgr
Frequent Advisor

At this time, the only way to get AO on StoreVirtual VSA is to order the 10TB or 50TB license.  We don't have an upgrade license to enable AO on the 4TB license.  We are looking into enabling AO on the 4TB VSA license in the future as several customers have requested this.

Thanks for the question. 

Amy Mitchell

HPE StoreVirtual product manager

I'm an HPE employee working in product management
imadam
Occasional Contributor

Hello Amy,

thank you for update. Is there any timeframe for this since we may have issue now with this 4TB license?

Also, do you guys planning to make possible to use SSD and NL-SAS disks on same server in separate volumes or datastores on Vmware like other vendors do?

Thank you.

Nilesh_Salvi

>> Also, do you guys planning to make possible to use SSD and NL-SAS disks on same server in separate volumes or datastores on Vmware like other vendors do?

Is use case

-  To deploy a server (and associated VSA instance) with SSD and NL-SAS disks attached to VSA? and

-  then create explciitly create SV volume with either tier specified as SSD OR NL-SAS storage. which will allow store virtual volume (and thus VMFS data store created on it) to be be tied to specific tier.

Note : I am from store virtual VSA engineering and responding on bahalf of product management.

imadam
Occasional Contributor

Hi Nilesh,

yes, that's use case. Since SSD drives getting cheaper people are putting more workload on them. My understanding that with SV is not possible to pin specific VM or workload to specific tier.  Also we would be migrating pinned workload on SSD drives to SSD drives on another node if required. So also this type of pinning in required as well :-).  

So, for example, we have:

- 2 x DL 360G9, each with 2x1.6TB WI SSD and 2x2TB NL-SAS 7200

- StoreVirtual 4TB 3pack license 

it would be great if we can pin workloads to these SSD drives and also to get for example 200Gb from SSD drive and use it for adaptive optimization for NL-SAS drives. 

I beleive that without this, StoreVirtual VSA is pretty much dead in water. I know we won't be using it anymore. However, this has someting to play with overall strategy with Simplivity now in house. 

If you wish to discuss it more, PM me and we can jump on webconf session. I can show you few things what actually is required :-).