1753809 Members
7896 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

StoreVirtual VSA licensing enforcement for storage size

Bianko
Advisor

StoreVirtual VSA licensing enforcement for storage size

Hi, with my licensing I'm entitled to have 4TB of space per VSA. I'm in the process of expanding the storage and I will exceed that limit (4,71TB). In which manner the software does enforce the license and prevents me from performing the storage expansion?

Thank you.

Francesco

4 REPLIES 4
danevald
Advisor

Re: StoreVirtual VSA licensing enforcement for storage size

To my understanding, the license is for the Volume size inside the VSA cluster, and not the actual storage system.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

No it has nothing to do with the volumes created inside the VSA cluster, it is all about the capacity assigned to the VSA. With a 4TB license you can assign maximum 4TB of capacity (VMDK files inside VMwahre, VHD files in HyperV) to the VSA... If you assign a 4,2TB VMDK file, you will need the 10TB license...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
danevald
Advisor

Hi Bart,

Sorry for my bad writing...that was also what I wanted to write - but I can see that's not what got into my post :-)

Glad you clarified it :-) 

BartV
Occasional Visitor

Hello.

4TB license is per node. A 3 node cluster can create up to 12TB raw, 6TB NetworkRAID10.

So you can create up to a total of 6TB of volumes, or one 6TB volume.

If you exceed the capacty op the nodes, i.e. assign 5TB capacity to the Storevirtual VM (not the created volumes!), the license is invalid and the node wil go into 'demo'-mode, fully working as a 10TB node, but with time-limitations.

Be aware, this applies to the 'old' term-based licenses. If you bought the new licenses .i.e. the HPE StoreVirtual VSA 2014 Software 4TB 3 Pack LTU  Q5T60A, the 3-node limitation is lifted, so you can cluster up to 16 nodes, up to 64TB RAW. (and the tiering functionality is also supported on the new licenses)

regards,

Bart