StoreVirtual Storage
1752672 Members
6051 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

StoreVirtual alert at 80% and critical alert at 95% : why?

SOLVED
Go to solution
pquiring
Occasional Contributor

StoreVirtual alert at 80% and critical alert at 95% : why?

Why does StoreVirtual give a warning when creating a volume that uses 80% raw storage and a critical warning at 95% ?

My setup has 2 nodes, each with 9TB usable (18TB total) all HDD.  So I want to create a 9TB 2-way mirror and use as much space as possible (100% preferably).  What would cause StoreVirtual to go over the size of the created virtual volume?  The client (VMware) would see a 9TB volume and wouldn't use anymore than that.  Not performing any snapshots if that has anything to do with it.  Does AO have something to do with it?  I can disable that. 

Read over the PDF and google doesn't explain why.

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
sbhat09
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: StoreVirtual alert at 80% and critical alert at 95% : why?

Hello @pquiring,

These alerts and warnings are set in general at those threshold levels to avoid critical scenarios like outages. If you are sure your usage is within usable capacity, you can ignore and proceed.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

pquiring
Occasional Contributor

From what I gather from reading more documentation StoreVirtual (SV) can go over the allocated size if snapshots are used.  Snapshots are performed on the volume itself from the SV management console (CMC) which has nothing to do with snapshots performed in VMWare (which is where I was confused).

Once a volume snapshot if performed all blocks are basically "read-only" so any writes to the volume are now performed to new blocks to keep the original data.  Defragging a volume from the client after a snapshot can use a lot of additional space.

Thanks,

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Thank you @pquiring for sharing more insight.!

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo