1753288 Members
5454 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storevirtual 3200 Latency Issue

mtroper
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I ran both updates at one time. (should be possible in my opinion)

My setup is one SV3200 10GBE iSCSI with 3 ESXi 5.5 U3 hosts.

Nor3344
Occasional Advisor

The patching of 136-16-00 just finished here and seems everything went ok here except the patch seems to have removed all the custom routing we had added on the MGMT interface... Crossing my fingers that it keeps running stable and I will rerun some of the benchmarks to see if the performance have improved. 

> Yes, I ran both updates at one time. (should be possible in my opinion)
Definitely! But after talks with L2 regarding some of our issues HPE does not seem to publish all the best practice advises

Rich: I saw the same temprature errors during my update. All cleared after a short while.

referencepoint
Advisor

@Nor3344how is your performance on the SV3200? Most people in this thread seem to have major performance issues when using it with VMware hosts, and you said you were using ESXi 6.0u3.

Nor3344
Occasional Advisor

@referencepoint I am not to impressed. I have only performed tests over a short periode of time so I will need to rerun some tests after the pathcing. The benchmarking I have done is available on github. I will rerun the same tests soon and extend the test time to see if I see any improvements. If you look under the log folder and the lat files you will find that we experienced instability in the latency during the testing.

referencepoint
Advisor

Just having a look at your outputs, thanks for these. Is the vertical axis in all of your graphs IOPS x 101?

Nor3344
Occasional Advisor

@referencepoint I only have SAS drives so I would really like to multiply the numbers with 10, but I am affraid that is not the case.

Site A:
2xRaid5 with 6 disks each. 1xSpare (13 disks in total)

Site B:
2xRaid5 with 6 disks each 1xspare (13 disks in total)

All volumes are Network RAID-10 (2-way mirror)

mtroper
Occasional Advisor

Ok, HP support is officially driving me mad....

After I solved the messed up Storage Controllers by myself (which were caused by changing the bond traffic routing type regarding http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00019441en_us . Which was adviced from L2 support prior to the patches) i made some performance tests again.

Performance has not increased after installing the latest patches (135-015-02  & 136-16-00).

After i played a bit with failing over the storage controllers it i saw that the performance increases (almost dubbled) when all disks were failed over to only one controller.

The answer from HP L2 support on this:

"Lets do some testing again.... (i declined and asked for perfomance values from HP test environment first)"

HP answer:

Ok you are doing the test on  the formatted drive and not on the RDM.  We are aware of the performance issue on the SV3200 and there is a fix which is coming soon which will fix the performance issue with ESXI.  The fix will be released end of October.

GuillaumeRainer
Advisor

Octobre ? Man, that's tough. That's another three months to go...

SVprodmgr
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for posting on this forum about your findings on SV3200 with the two patch sets.  I talked to our engineering team about the findings and they suggested that you should elevate this case to L3.  You might have a unique case that needs the subject matter experts to investigate.

Amy Mitchell

StoreVirtual Product Manager

I'm an HPE employee working in product management
GuillaumeRainer
Advisor

Well, I had pretty much the same unique case of running esxi-iscsi against sv3200; finally had to give up since L3 found the same problems as I did. I feel the number of esxi Customers with high spec' ed arrays (read: ssd or a good amount of disks) AND 10g is pretty low and thus patching and testing have not been done so far. 

Thanks for keeping us posted, through, I would love to use those arrays in our smaller projects...