1753500 Members
4328 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storevirtual 3200 Latency Issue

Kipp_Glover
HPE Pro

StoreVirtual OS 13.6 released Tuesday (14 November).  Systems can be upgraded through the StoreVirtual Management Console (SVMC).

There are several performance related improvements in this release.  For details, see the HPE StoreVirtual 13.6 Release Notes on the HPESC:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home/documentHome?docId=emr_na-a00035652en_us&document_type=134%2C138%2C140&language_code=1871440&sp4ts.oid=1009115875

I work for HPE
mvbk
Occasional Advisor

Good morning,

i there anyone else who upgraded their systems and have some performance results? Last week I upgraded a two-node setup with a FOM from 13.5 to 13.6 but I still get read and write latencies.

The upgrade itself didn't go very smooth, but at least I was able to upgrade the four controllers (two nodes). The FOM is still having issues and I can't upgrade the FOM. The web interfaces of the cluster and all controllers are just not workable. I'm able to log in, but most of the time I only see some 'loading' symbols. If I'm lucky I get some feedback after half an hour.

Still no feedback after two days from HPE after logging a case. I assume I won't be the only one still having the latencies?

ThomasU2
Advisor

Hi mvbk

Have you had any issues when upgrading the 4 controllers? I am stuck at the first one, saying "rebooting" at 90%, 3hours and ongoing.

I bought 2x sv3200 encolsures 2 months ago, had unbeliveable huge problems to get those 2 up and running, also 1 controller was DOA. Luckily my sv3200 cluster is still not live, but I am very, very worried if I really should use it in the live enviroment from what I read here. I have an esxi 5.5 U3 cluster, and the sv3200 will be connected with iscsi. It should replace a P2000 G2.

As soon as I get those **bleep**ty 4 controllers up and running, I will make performance tests as well.

Just to be with all of you. I had to re-image all 4 controllers multiple times until I managed to get it up and running. had an HP technician on the phone for at least 5 hours (2hours straight one time).

regards
Thomas

mvbk
Occasional Advisor

ThomasU2,

I'm "glad" to hear I'm not the only one.

We installed the two nodes in June but it was a pain in the ass. One node was DOA as well, but only after 4 days they started to believe it. I was able to configure the other node, but after an IP-change I couldn't reach anything anymore, so a reimage was the only way out. I also had to wait for 3 days for someone to give me a guide how to perform a reimage. At that time it wasn't documented yet.

During my upgrade last friday, the process crashed multiple times. After each controller upgrade, it failed, but the OS version was the new 13.6 though. However I can't be sure the upgrade was completely succesfull... It was also around the 90% when I was having some issues, but the process failed quite rapidly after that. So I didn't have to wait for multiple hours. The last item was the FOM, which was corrupt during the upgrade process and up till now, I still haven't been able to add a new 13.6 FOM to the management group.

ThomasU2
Advisor

Hi mvbk

Ok, After I removed the one controller (reboot manually ;-) the update to 13.6 was successfull.

It seems everything is fine now.

One question, why do you have a FOM when you have 2x sv3200 enclosures? You dont need that, there are already 4 controllers. I didn't even find a FOM to download for my sv3200's

The performance could be better and it is in fact slower when using an ESXi storage virtual HD THAN attach it to a Windows VM with iscsi directly...but not that much.

I think about adding SSD's as cache, dont know if that would make a huge difference. I have 2 nodes with 2x5 disks each.

ThomasU21
Occasional Visitor

Ok, after a LOOOOng google run I found the FOM for sv3200...HP your Website is the worst...ever...It was good once...but since you separated into HP inc and HPE, its gets worse...from day to day...thanks a lot.

Now I am still searching for the FOM sv3200 13.6...I cannot install 13.5 and add it to the cluster. I cannot update it nor create a mgmgroup on the FOM to update it etc.

Any Help would be appreciated.

regards

Thomas

mvbk
Occasional Advisor

Thomas,

you won't find a FOM for Storevirtual OS 13.6 for now. This is the feedback from HP:

Yesterday I have checked with L3 team and 13.6 ovf file for FOM is expected to be released on 27th Nov 2017. We can use that ovf file and build FOM and add to the existing array which is running 13.6.

So for now there is no way to add a new FOM to your 13.6 management group.

I don't need a FOM to present my volumes or prevent data loss if one controller fails, but what if a storage node goes down? I will lose 2 out of 4 managers, so thats why I'm using a FOM to have 3 out of 5 managers if a storage node fails. At least that's what I believe we should use? All my volumes are in NR10, so I asume the storage is smart enough to choose one controller from each storage node when setting up the NR10?! Unfortunately I haven't found a way to check this yet... I'm open for suggestions or advice if the FOM isn't necessary.

LeeTse
Occasional Visitor

Hi ThomasU2 & vmbk,

what is your situation, i have upgrade to LFOS 13.6 and FOM 13.6 last week, but no performance improve, the performance is really worse, the array attached as ESXi server storage, copy files in windows guest machine running on ESXi, the speed is down to 800K/s,  and not exceed 60MB/s.

peyrache
Respected Contributor

Hi
New patches will fix this issue, will be available in next couple of days
JY
ThomasU21
Occasional Visitor

Hi All

I just checked. I get around 50-60MB/s when I copy a huge file within an VM on an ESXI (iscsi attached sv3200)

I also found the FOM 13.6 to download on the HPE page.

Lets wait for the patches then.

Thomas