1748213 Members
3220 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Storevirtual 3200 Latency Issue

SVprodmgr
Frequent Advisor

Re: Storevirtual 3200 Latency Issue

Thank you for staying in touch with the StoreVirtual Community.  I am working with the HPE Technical Support team to stay in closer contact with customers.  We are working on two patch sets and a maintenance release that we expect to address the issues reported here.  We are studying the release timelines now and will communicate them as soon as we finish.  Thank you for the continued patience. 

Amy Mitchell

HPE StoreVirtual Product Manager

I'm an HPE employee working in product management
richa3312
Advisor

Amy,

Can you help? I've been trying add our SV3200 to Warranties and contracts so we can download the DSM (it says entitlement is required) however it states that our serial number is already linked. We've never linked it so a bit confused. Is there anyway of finding out who has linked it or can't help can you point me in the right direction to someone that can?

Thanks,

GuillaumeRainer
Advisor

If you don't mind me asking - do you mean the windows DSM or did I overlook some vmware news ...?

..i had a major outage yesterday due to the sv3200 not working - the data is on different arrays for the moment being, and the failed uplink to those caused around 350 VMs to crash... had it been on sv as planned, nothing big would have happened ^^

So if there were news, please do share...thanks
SVprodmgr
Frequent Advisor

I suggest reviewing the help section of the HPE support center about the linking of your warranty to your passport account.  Software support for SV3200 is provided through your warranty on the SV3200 serial number. 

If you need the DSM installer for SV3200, the easiest way is to get it from the upgrades menu on the StoreVirtual Management Console under the clients section.  We treat the DSM installer as a client from the StoreVirtual Management Console. 

Amy Mitchell

StoreVirtual Product Manager

I'm an HPE employee working in product management
richa3312
Advisor

Hi,

We run hyper-v so its the windows DSM i'm afraid.

Our unit suffered from some random issue whereby controller 2 missed a heartbeat and was subsequetly rebooted by controller 1. Apparently this is a known issue and will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

Following this volumes hosted by controller 2 suffered horrific latency > 25 seconds. It seems that  rebooting the host resolved this but support want the DSM installing anyway which I'm happy to do. 

Just can't link my serial for some reason!

Rich.

richa3312
Advisor

Thanks Amy,

I'll check that out. The site thinks the serial is already linked. Not sure why. Is there support for such things? It'd be nice to know who to contact. The help section mentions unlinking it but that would mean having access to the account which has linked it but we have no idea who that would be. The unit was brand new to us.

Regards,

Rich.

GuillaumeRainer
Advisor

patch update:

there has been a patch 135-015-02, which showed promise in that it has some improvements for console, MPIO/DSM and memory leaks as well as load balancing related performance issuse.
I installed it straight away - seems the number do not really improve.

mtroper
Occasional Advisor

Installed 135-015-02 and 135-016-00.

After the install the SC2 became unavailable. (Reboot not possible anymore)

In addition Hosts loosed connection to the StoreVirtual (and one crashed)

Also now both controller logging exessive packet loss (1-5%) which is not seen on the switches. (and no flow control pause frames were logged on the switches anymore)

Nor3344
Occasional Advisor

I have been following this thread closely as I have experienced quite a lot of similar issues with our SV3200 multi-site solution.  The timing of your post scares me since I just have started installing the patches myself. Did you check both patches at the same time?  The paranoia in me restricted me to just choose 135-15-02 first and wait for it to complete the update on all four controllers and the FOM. All controllers and accessibility of the volumes against VMware behaved fine shortly after the patching was complete so I have started on 136-16-00.... Hoping I do not run into similar issues as you have seen. Could you please share what kind to setup you are running? I am running 2xSV3200 10Gb iSCSI multi-site. It is presenting storage to vSphere ESXi 6.0U3 hosts.

Please keep us updated on how it goes.

richa3312
Advisor

Hi,

When I installed 136-16-00 it didn't go on properly. We got the following error message:

The Update stopped due to an error. Check the versions of the storage controllers to determine if they were updated. Correct any issues and restart the update if nessesary.

At the same time it sent about 30 email messages to say that every temperature sensor under the sun was faulty followed by confirmation that everything was then ok!

When we checked the storage controller versions one controller had updated but the other hadn't.

We then re-tried the update at which point it did the same again. It seemed to fail at the end of the update waiting for the controller reboot. It now shows both controllers have version 136-16-00. 

We never lost contact with the storage throughout and it now seems to be working ok.

We run Hyper-V so not sure if it will be different on VMWare.

Rich.