1752611 Members
4428 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Upgrade 9.0 to 10.5 - any issues?

Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

Upgrade 9.0 to 10.5 - any issues?

We're running 6 P4000 nodes (mix of P4300 G1 and P4500G2) on 9.0 with all patches.

We have vSphere 5.1 and Windows servers connecting to the 2 clusters.

I've just finished upgrading the DSM MPIO on our Windows boxes to the latest 10.0.x version so I believe we should be good to go to 10.5.

Are there any gotcha's to be aware of?

There's something about the whole automated sequence of updating a P4000 Management Group that has me pacing around like a madman praying it comes back up... :)

6 REPLIES 6
Emilo
Trusted Contributor

It was probably wise to wait until 10.5 to do the upgrades.

I would only probably reccomend that you make sure all the fw is up to date.

I know there have been a bunch of fw updates to the drives.

check here for the fw updates

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3883931&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3883890&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4004#29260

Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

Firmware is all up to date in so much as the CMC is happy that everything is at the correct level so BIOS, drive firmware, RAID controller etc.
Emilo
Trusted Contributor

The CMC wont tell you about the drives if they havent loaded the updates.

Dont let a failed drive bite you.

Just give the drives a quick look over.

You can also look at the citical patches and have look and see if they will be applied.

KurtG
Regular Advisor

Your G1s won't be upgraded to 10.5 - not supported and you won't be allowed to upgrade the G1.

UPDATE: Link to Compability Matrix; 

HP StoreVirtual 4000 Storage Compability Matrix

KurtG

IainS
Frequent Advisor

We recently upgraded our P4300 G2 Starter SAN from 9.0 to 10.5 that is used for storage in a Hyper V cluster. The most difficult part was getting CMC to completely download the updates, it kept failing about half way through the fairly large download. Was on the verge of giving up when something like the 10th attempt finally completed.

I was a little bit worried after reading some of the issues reported here (for 10 mostly) but it worked just fine. Was also slightly painful rebooting the Hyper V nodes due to the updated DSM software, but the actual SAN update was pretty painless.

Prakash Singh_1
HPE Pro

Hi,

For HP Store Virtual 4000 series SAN Solution querries you can also visit the HP Guided troubleshooting tree.

Below is the link for HPGT:

http://h20584.www2.hp.com/hpgt/guides/select?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=4118659&lang=en&cc=us

Regards,

PS
To assign points on this post? Click the white Thumbs up below!