1753259 Members
6393 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Upgrading ESXi 4.1 to 5.0 with P4000?

Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

Upgrading ESXi 4.1 to 5.0 with P4000?

Have any of you upgraded your ESXi 4.1 hosts to 5.0 please, and if so what config changes did you make to ensure your P4000 config was optimal?

Our current config is as per best practises with 2 VMKernel's, each bound to only a single pNIC.

With 5.0 this seems to have changed and the Best Practise guide only references a single VMKernel even when using multiple NICs?

Basically I'm torn between upgrading and simply re-installing and re-configuring.

5 REPLIES 5
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrading ESXi 4.1 to 5.0 with P4000?

Hi,

Best practices stay exactly the same in 5.x compared to 4.x... So still 2 VMkernels linked to 1 PNic...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

Thanks Bart, looks like a very badly written HP document - I've since found another version which is much clearer and, as you say, suggests it's pretty much unchanged between 4.1 and 5.0 other than being able to do the iSCSI binding through the GUI.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Please check this document:

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vmw-vsphere-p4000-lefthand-san-solutions.pdf

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

That's the poorly written one IMO.

4AA3-6918ENW.pdf makes a lot more sense I think, it's just clearer.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Sorry copied the wrong URL... There is the VMware and the HP document, the HP is indeed better...

More info can be found also on my own blog http://www.bitcon.be/

If U send me a mail, I can send U also a copy of the presentation that I gave at HP Discover in Vegas... It's all about tips and tricks with Lefthand and VMware...

Kr,

Bart