1748254 Members
4180 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Upgrading existing HP 4330s with SSDs?

Aaron Ruppert
Occasional Contributor

Upgrading existing HP 4330s with SSDs?

Has anyone successfully replaced all or some of the drives with SSDs? I am looking at replacing all drives outright, or 2 of them with SSDs and enabling AO.  I understand this likely ins't supported but our support is ending on these anyway. 

I previously upgraded the drives in a 4130 to 8 x 1TB and rebuilt the unit. it has been running happily for years so I'm thinking this should be straightforward.

Also looking at intel drives vs HP branded drives as the cost difference is significant.  As you can probably tell I work for a non-profit with a limited budget.

3 REPLIES 3
Stor_Mort
HPE Pro

Re: Upgrading existing HP 4330s with SSDs?

Hi Aaron,

Replacing factory-provided drives with other drives which have different specs is not supported by HPE. You may have a need for doing that. It's your equipment. But don't expect HPE Support to be able to help if you run into problems. Changing the hardware configuration voids your support contract.

I am an HPE employee - HPE SImpliVity Support

Accept or Kudo

Aaron Ruppert
Occasional Contributor

thanks for the response "stor_mort", yes I understand this is not a supported config. Its hard to justify the ~$60k price tag to buy 2 new hybrid nodes when we can simply upgrade our exisitng ones,.  Worst case scenario we install vmware on the nodes and purchase two additional VSA licenses.

thanks!

Stor_Mort
HPE Pro

I completely understand. A VSA cluster is a great supported option. Be sure to define the disks as RDM volumes to help keep the latency low. Even a few hundred microseconds starts to impact SSD performance.

I am an HPE employee - HPE SImpliVity Support

Accept or Kudo