5273 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrading the VSA from 8.0 to 8.1

Rab_4
Occasional Advisor

Upgrading the VSA from 8.0 to 8.1

Hello,

is there a way to upgrade my Lefthand SAN's if the machine with the Management Console doesn't have internet access (a restriction from our networking admins)? I noticed that there's a Version 8.1 now which appears to have some significant improvements but I can't figure out where I could download an upgrade as opposed to the complete version.
7 REPLIES 7
Gauche
Trusted Contributor

Re: Upgrading the VSA from 8.0 to 8.1

You can upgrade without internet access. you just need the blahblah.upgrade file for what version you want to get to.
Adam C, LeftHand Product Manger
Rab_4
Occasional Advisor

Where can I get the upgrade file for 8.1?
Jason.Wilkening
Advisor

It should be in the ITRC under the SUM (Software Update Manager).
Rab_4
Occasional Advisor

Oh, great, I can't access that part of the site. Ugh, considering that we bought 3 years *Premium* support with the VSA it's amazing the hoops I've had to go through so far just trying to get an upgrade or be able to access support for the product.

Maybe I'll figure out how to get access before my support period is up but I'm getting doubtful at this point. Well, at that HP is no less helpful than Lefthand who never bothered to answer my E-Mails requesting a login to their support site.
John Mattern

I have the same problem; I bought support through 2013 for my two 2120 G2 NSMs. HP sent me a cryptic paper note about upgrading to 8.1 using the SUM at www.itrc.hp.com. That's fine if they had provided me information about how to log into it but they didn't.

I called the HP Customer Support routing center and they have never heard of Lefthand Networks. When I told them it was a storage or SAN product, the guy wanted to know whether it was an EVA or MSA.

If I find out anything about how to get the BORG to provide me the support I paid for, I'll re-post so don't have to be jerked around as much by these HP minions.
Rab_4
Occasional Advisor

Well, at least you got a note from HP, I haven't received a thing.

I ended up downloading the trial version of the Virtual Appliance, replacing the Appliances in the cluster (giving the new vm's the same MAC Address), and plugging in the license numbers. A bit more work but it was faster than waiting for this issue to be resolved and I need to go further with my project. Doesn't solve my problem for future upgrades, though.
joemagjr
Occasional Contributor

Here is a link that I got from lefthand networks for the SAN IQ 8.1 you need to update the the cmc first then the do the SAN.

8.1 Upgrade Files

FTP System: hprc.external.hp.com (15.192.32.69)

I did mine last week.