1753926 Members
9034 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VSA licence help

regi_p
Frequent Advisor

VSA licence help

Hi i want to setup a 3 node (4TB/node) VSA using VMW & HPE PL380 G10 on 10G-T network & have all the HDD's

https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/gethtml.aspx?docname=c04111621

What licence to buy from abobe list as i'm confused with diffent 3 year term licence, lifetime licence etc...

No proper answer from HPE resellers 

Please help 

Cheers

/R

11 REPLIES 11
SVprodmgr
Frequent Advisor

The regular 4TB 3pack license is all you need.  Please see below for the SKUs.

Amy Mitchell

StoreVirtual Product Manager

HPE StoreVirtual VSA 2014 Software 4TB 3 Pack LTU

Q5T60A

• 3 licenses for HPE StoreVirtual VSA Software
  • Up to 4TB capacity per StoreVirtual VSA
  • Includes Adaptive Optimization feature
  • Not stockable by the channel, must order as drop ship and have single end-user quantities represented on the order
  • Installable on vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V or Linux KVM
  • Installation media and documentation downloadable from hpe.com/storage/downloads/storevirtual
  • Includes 3 years of software support for each license
  • NOTE: For system requirements, see Hardware Prerequisites.

HPE StoreVirtual VSA 2014 Software 4TB 3 Pack E-LTU

Q5T60AAE

• 3 licenses for HPE StoreVirtual VSA Software
  • Up to 4TB capacity per StoreVirtual VSA
  • Includes Adaptive Optimization feature
  • Not stockable by the channel, must order as drop ship and have single end-user quantities represented on the order
  • Installable on vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V or Linux KVM
  • Installation media and documentation downloadable from hpe.com/storage/downloads/storevirtual
  • Includes 3 years of software support for each license
  • NOTE: For system requirements, see Hardware Prerequisites.
I'm an HPE employee working in product management
regi_p
Frequent Advisor

Thanks the full version is approx ┬г4.5K vs same product on 3 year term ┬г1.3K what's wrong with term product ?

What happens after the 3 years ? Is HPE are phasing out VSA in favour of simplivity ?

Cheers

/R

SVprodmgr
Frequent Advisor

The 3 year term license on VSA consists of a term license for the VSA software and 3 years of technical support.  At the end of the 3 year term, the license expires as well as the support.  When the license expires, several features become disabled - such as new volume creation, new snapshots and remote copies. 

All the term license SKUs are about to become obsolete.  Here is a link to the notification:  http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5306917&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00021920en_us

it is better to get the no-term licenses instead of risking that some of your storage features will be disabled in 3 years.

Amy Mitchell

StoreVirtual Product Manager

I'm an HPE employee working in product management
brainsys
Occasional Visitor

Hi Amy,
I've a question about the space usable provided by the VSA license.

My setup is:
2 VMware hosts with a LUN of 19TB each (2 VSA installed)
With a network-raid 10 volume I have 38TB of raw space (in the management group), then I've created a single volume of 19TB.

I've purchased 2 license of 10TB (HPE SV VSA 2014 10TB E-LTU Q0J77AAE) but I'm unsure if the licence cover all the space of the volume. I'm already in production and I don't want to put a wrong license that could cause the unavailability of the volume.

Does the license cover the raw space exposed to the VSA or the space of the volume?
In my case I need to go for a license extension?

Thank you very much
Regards.

Assen
HPE Pro

Hi brainsys,

if you have 10TB license for each of the VSAs, each VSA can hold <= 10TB raw/vmdk data disks.

If applied license expires on VSAs, you do not loose access to volumes! You just can't manage them anymore, like

adding new luns, updates etc.

BR

Assen

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

brainsys
Occasional Visitor

Hi Assen,
so if I'm running within the 60days trial period and I put the license of 10TB (but the volume created in the manegement group is larger) I can only allocate space to reach 10TB?

I think that in the trial period there is no limit in the volume creation size

Many thanks
Regards.

Assen
HPE Pro

Yes, the trial period does not have feature limits, just a time limit.

If you enter the license of 10TB and you have allocated more than 10TB to the VSA, you will get a warning

that you are using unlicensed features and you will have to reduce the disks of the VSA or purchase a license

that has more capacity.

BR

Assen

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

brainsys
Occasional Visitor

Hi Assen,
I've put the key of 10TB purchased and I still see the warning about the "Time Limited" license, but I don't see the warning about the oversize of the volume, I only get the days left before the expiration.

The license seem installed correctly, so I think I need to purchase an extension of 50TB

Thank you

Regards

Assen
HPE Pro

Hi brainsys,

can you post a screenshot from the license tab of the VSA, where the license error is shown?

BR

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo