StoreVirtual Storage
1748250 Members
3368 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Veeam backup from StoreVirtual 3200 "unsupported" ???

radion1
Frequent Visitor

Veeam backup from StoreVirtual 3200 "unsupported" ???

Hello,

we have two different customer environments, each with two new StoreVirtual 3200 systems configured as a cluster. In both environments we see very high latency and even daily connection drops for 10-40 seconds.

We already opened two support cases regarding this issue and as every time HPE tries to blame other components in the environment. Now they even say, that it is unsupported to use Veeam in the same environment as the StoreVirtual 3200 and no, they don't mean using it as a backup location but as a primary storage from which I take backups. We tried to explain them, that Veeam uses the standard VMware VADP API and nothing special, but they don't understand and repeated multiple that we have to remove Veeam from the customers environments.... really?!

How is that possible? Who needs an enterprise storage system without the possibility to backup? Is it true that Veeam is unsupported? Does anyone faced the same problem with HPE support regarding the StoreVirtual 3200?

Regards,
radion1

7 REPLIES 7
LazerHawk
Visitor

Same here. Although, I think it's sort of opposite direction - Veeam does not support SV3200.

But as far as I understand, this only concerns Veeam Storage Integration, meaning direct (e.g. iSCSI) connection to SV3200. There should be no issues backing up through vCenter/ESXi hosts.

Regarding connection drops and performance - I'd suggest having a look at your network gear. In our environment, I noticed that our LACP bond is oversubscribed, which results in 'input/output errors/drops'. With few tweaks on our switches I managed to solve those issues.

radion1
Frequent Visitor

Veeam does not support "any" storage for simple backups. They just support e.g. VMware vSphere which includes every storage system on the VMware HCL. They do have some supported storage systems for Storage Snapshots but we do not use this feature.

Just like you say, there should be no issues backing up through vCenter/ESXi hosts and that is what we do in the mentioned environments (no direct SAN backup). However that way of backup is exactly where the HPE support said it is not supported.

Thanks a lot for your advise! We will check that point.

AndyandtheVMs
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Veeams Storage Integration (Backup from Storage Snapshot) support only version 12.6 of the StoreVirtual Software. SV3200 is only delivered with 13.x software, so this system is not supported at the Snapshot integration. 

We did not had any issues with VMware standard backup methods like HotAdd and NBD.

If you send me the HPE Support ticket number I will double check this.

dcampregher
Honored Contributor

Hello,

In a customer we also had the packet loss event in the StoreVirtual 3200 ( 01 node ) and in the VMware we see latency increase and path down at the same time the packet loss in the storage.

We are using Veeam but without Storage Integration, only with the normal ( NDB ) backups but the packet loss abd latency happen at any time even with no backups running.

In the switches ( 02 1950 with 08Gbps LACP between them ) we only check the Pause Frame ( Output ). No erros.

Any idea ?

-----------
Please assign Kudos

You can refer the Best practice guide and check details of LACP,

https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=a00009194enw&doctype=Technical%20white%20paper&doclang=EN_US&searchquery=&cc=us&lc=en

As per my understanding LHOS 13.6 will have fix. What is the current LHOS version running and what all Patches installed?

You can also refer the below two customer advisory if they are applicable for your system,

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=1009115874&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00018860en_us

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00019441en_us

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
dcampregher
Honored Contributor

Hello,

The patches are the 15, 16, and 17.

The LACP and network are OK reggarding the best practices.

The Management Network KB are applied, it running in the ETH0 ( 1G-1 ) and the traffic type Management are running it.

The StoreVirtual OS traffice type are running on the SICLO interface. We don't change this traffic because we are waiting the L3 support.

-----------
Please assign Kudos