108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Version 11.0 Announced, Finally - Capacity Increase and Tiered-Storage

vlho
Advisor

Hi all

new version 11 is available for download on HP portal now:

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductsList.do?category=SWSDED

HP StoreVirtual - Receive for free...

oikjn
Honored Contributor

nice link.

It says CMC should offer the program starting on Nov. 11th....   wish they wouldn't bother with the symbolic 11/11 release date or if they really cared they should have released it two years ago :) 

RemyZ
Advisor

It seems that 11.0 is released.

--------------------------------------
Remy Zandwijk
VU University Amsterdam
Sbrown
Valued Contributor

yes! the EXE installer works perfectly! Just fire up a VM (on local DAS or physical) run the exe installer, point it at a vcenter or host and it will take care of it all.

Adaptive optimization works great, you get two tiers and all storage. It is not the same as HP SMARTCACHE or LSI CACHECADE! if you allocate 2TB to SSD and 8TB to RAID-5 SATA , you get a total of 10TB usable! (VSA).

You can also use HP smart cache along with this to make it even faster. Or do a split like 15K SAS RAID-10 tier-0 and 7.2K SAS RAID-5/6/50/60!

Awesome! just upgrade! Remember that if you upgrade to 11 - you may not be very happy with deprecation of windows 2003 (VSS/MPIO) but I have not verified that myself.

With 1 VSA (no redundancy), it takes about 15 minutes to install CMC and a node. The only thing you should do is power down the VSA, change the MAC ADDRESS to Manual to match your licensing, then continue setup. Otherwise you will get a dynamic mac address and that could turn out BAD!

Also all PVSCSI and VMXNET3 ! awesome sauce!

I have to say really impressed.

Now all we need is re-thinning, but I'm happy!! This blows away performance from 10 due to Adaptive Optimization.

I may post a single node test with 40gbe mellanox connect-x3 to a single tier of 2TB SSD and 5TB of 15K SAS and some other combinations including cachecade and hp smartcache/smartpath to see how much faster this vsa can scale!
twitchit

An sharing of performance benchmarks would be greatly appreciated.

Sbrown
Valued Contributor

Any requests?

We will be running the VSA test on a P4300 G2 ugpraded to P420/1gb FBWC and L5639 CPU with 12gb of ram - esxi 5.5 - dual 10gbe port (emulex be2). 8 LFF drives but i'd be glad to stuff some SSD in there.

Only had $600 budget for server so that had to do. [sas and ssd drives already had laying around]

Start simple? 512GB of SSD[r1] and 2.5tb of raid-5 15K 450GB?

could do 512 SSD HP Smartcache, 2.5TB tier-0.

then
256 HP smartcache, 256 tier-0 ssd, 2.5TB TIER-1 15K SAS RAID-5

then 512 tier-0 R1 SSD, 2.5TB Tier-1 15K SAS RAID-5

then repeat with raid-10?

I can do 2 machines once I figure out how to get 10-20gbps of speed out of the box.

It would be cool to do the pepsi challenge against the Hyper-V.

I'd like to hear from HP about this: The large-scale workloads with intensive I/O patterns require adapter queue depths greater than the Paravirtual SCSI (PVSCSI) default values. Current PVSCSI queue depth default values are 64 ( for device) and 254 (for adapter). You can increase PVSCSI queue depths to 256 (for device) and 1024 (for adapter) inside a Windows virtual machine.

So can you not change these values in *nix? How does that affect ESXi versus Hyper-V2012/r2 performance? !!

Hp let us know!!
Sbrown
Valued Contributor

So you have PCI-E FLASH,RAMSAN on your VSA but can't push each LUN to 255 QD (or more?)

2 vcpu with default settings are not going to push that 40gbe nic and storage subsystem to 1 million IOPS!

The problem is of course simple - if you can't push 255 QD your SSD will never get a true workout. If you can't dispatch i/o against more VCPU, you will not be able to handle the i/o - Both EThernet and Storage this is true!

What I would suggest is the ability to tweak both storage and networking for the VSA - esxi -> and hyper-v so you can push hard.

I would suggest that a STOREVIRTUAL VSA 11 with TIER-0 of RAM [backed with flash], and TIER-1 of SSD might be able to reach 1 million IOPS with the ability to add more VCPU, tweak Storage Queue Depth/Ring, and likewise tweak the VMXNET3 subsystem to run 4,5,6,7,8  (or more) vcpu.

So here's the deal! If anyone can get logged into their lefthand (shell) VSA..

try this - or maybe HP lefthand engineers can tell us the whole story.......

[I am asking lefthand engineers, not end users ..! DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS! ]

Append the following to kernel boot args ( edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg) and reboot the system.

vmw_pvscsi.cmd_per_lun=255 vmw_pvscsi.ring_pages=32

You can verify the changed queue depth by doing a cat on these module args i.e.

$ cat /sys/module/vmw_pvscsi/parameters/cmd_per_lun

$ cat /sys/module/vmw_pvscsi/parameters/ring_pages

(link to older source: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/142160)

#define PVSCSI_DEFAULT_NUM_PAGES_PER_RING	8
#define PVSCSI_DEFAULT_NUM_PAGES_MSG_RING	1
#define PVSCSI_DEFAULT_QUEUE_DEPTH		64
#define SGL_SIZE				PAGE_SIZE

Has anyone already dowloaded it trought the CMC?

AuZZZie
Frequent Advisor

Still not available through CMC on either of my sites. 

Not that I'm surprised. 

oikjn
Honored Contributor

the VSA main page says Nov 30th last time I checked.  Not sure why they delayed it.  I know you can download it direct right now (and I did), but I'm going to wait until after the update becomes available through CMC before I install it on my SAN.