1751971 Members
4567 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Version 11.0 Announced, Finally - Capacity Increase and Tiered-Storage

AuZZZie
Frequent Advisor

Re: Version 11.0 Announced, Finally - Capacity Increase and Tiered-Storage

Yea they pushed it back, which is what I meant by "not surprised". I don't think the LeftHand/StoreVirtual team has ever hit a date they've set. Hell SMI-S has been coming in the "next version" for over 2 years. 

How would I go about upgrading without waiting for it to be pushed via CMC? I want to move my HyperVisors too 2012 R2 and I'm getting sick of waiting. 

oikjn
Honored Contributor

the software is available for download through their software system.  I can never remember exactly how I get there, but I think one way to get there is through the "try VSA" link now it will give you the v11 software.  I downloaded it back around the 15th and upgraded my CMC install to v11.  CMC doesn't show an upgrade available for my nodes/management group, but I have all the software to upgrade the DSM/app snapshot software on my servers to v11 and can do that....  I haven't yet because I haven't had the free time, but I plan on doing it over thanskgiving some time.  As for upgrading nodes, I don't know how to do that beyond just replacing each VSA individually which IMO isn't worth the trouble.

TurbinYA
Occasional Advisor

Yes, you cant download version 11 from Software Depot

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=StoreVirtualSW

But when we can see this version in CMC?!

Yaroslav.

AuZZZie
Frequent Advisor

In other words, you can't (easily) upgrade already deployed nodes without waiting for the CMC upgrade which was due Nov 11, then before the end of Nov.

Now it's the end of Nov, and it's still not released. So done with the LeftHand/StoreVirtual product line. They're always 10 steps behind everyone else and 20 steps behind their own promises. 

At the price point of the StoreVirtual line, what you get feature wise and both support wise is ridiculous. 

AuZZZie
Frequent Advisor

StoreVirtual 11 Download page updated to now show "CMC Online Upgradeability available in early December 2013".

I'll be sure to hold my breath. 

oikjn
Honored Contributor

lol.

wonder what the problem is.  Only thing I can guess is that they have some sort of problem doing an UPGRADE of an existing system since the clean install has been out for a while.

Anyway...  beyond the fact that 11.0 isn't even fully released yet, its a dud on release anyway without support of UNMAP and presumably the never-to-be-seen deduplication feature as they decided to make a Storeonce VSA :-/  .  AO will be nice, but anybody who really cared about that could have done it already at the hardware level with LSI's cachecade a year or two ago.  Maybe AO is "better" than Cachecade, but now you are talking about a % here or there.  I just hope 11.5 is announced soon and at least catches up StoreVirtual to be back on par for features of all other modern SANs. 

AuZZZie
Frequent Advisor

I agree that, as usual the release doesn't really bring anything to the table feature wise (except SMI-S.. Finally). The reason I'm getting annoyed however, is that Hyper-V 2012 R2 DOES bring something to the table, and it isn't officially supported without StoreVirtual 11. 

oikjn
Honored Contributor

that is very true.  I wasn't thinking about that as I only upgraded some VMs and not my hosts that connect to the SAN, but that is deffinitely a problem for those who are ready for 2012R2.

There are now two 11.00 patches available but still no version 11.00 for upgrade.

AuZZZie
Frequent Advisor

All HP seems to reply is that StoreVirtual 11 has been on the web since "blah blah". They don't seem to understand their own product that for existing deployments (production) that is of absolutely no help and doesn't allow you to upgrade without the CMC upgrade path.