StoreVirtual Storage
1752675 Members
6278 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: W2008 R2 HP DSM MPIO upgrade 9.0 to 9.5?

Fred Blum
Valued Contributor

W2008 R2 HP DSM MPIO upgrade 9.0 to 9.5?

In the past during the test fase of our W2008 R2 Failover cluster with Hyper-V, I was so stupid (not expecting it among the windows updates) to install the HP DSM MPIO 9.0 update tru Windows update. After which I lost my connections to the SAN and other weird behavior. See older thread. Problems seemed to be related to active connections.

I now have the CMC on 9.5 and should ugrade HP DSM MPIO to 9.5 befor updating the SAN. Has anyone done that? What is the best way of going about that? Stop the Hyper-V VMs, stop the failover cluster, disconnect all connections to the SAN? Upgrade HP DSM MPIO, check iSCSI intiator setting, reboot to see if it still holds?

During the testing fase in the past with the upgrade to 9.0 I had to reinstall W2008 R2, do a clean install of HP DSM MPIO 9.0, set up the iSCSI NICS and iSCSI initiator again. This won't do in a production environment. 

Fred

8 REPLIES 8
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

I've always just run the MPIO DSM update software and upgraded.  This worked in the past without too much drama.  However, I did have weird issue on a couple of machines with the upgrade to 9.0 where the system would only connect to a single node or would connect to multiple and would slowly drop connections until only a single connection remained.

This issue was resolved by uninstalling the MPIO software, rebooting, and then installing it clean again.  But it really only impacted 2 machine out of about 30 and was my only issue.

Looking at taking the plunge this weekend for 9.5.  I hope I don't run into the same problem.

Fred Blum
Valued Contributor

Hi Bryan,

Please share your experience over the weekend. My past experience with the failed DSM MPIO upgrade was on the test setup and I had been trying out all kind of different settings to do performance tests. NIC bonds, MCS, iSCSI NICs, DSM MPIO, etc. That might have been the reason for the failed update.

Fred

Cajuntank MS
Valued Contributor

I know this thread is 2 weeks old, but wanted to share my experience on this. I have 2 x two node 2008R2 clusters and did not run into any issues performing upgrades to the 9.5 software. Updated the CMC, moved my VMs to one node, paused the node in the cluster, updated the DSM software, rebooted, checked iSCSI for my multiple connections, unpaused node, moved all my VMs to that node, paused other node, rinse and repeat... After DSM was upgraded , then finished the 9.5 upgrades to the SAN nodes without any issues.

Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

If I look in my CMC it shows that it has downloaded the 9.5 updates (we're on 9.0 right now) but I don't see 9.5 versions of the MPIO DSM, or the CLI on the upgrade list?

Am i just being a chimp and not looking hard enough?

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi Paul,

Look for HP_DSM_Installer_9.5.0.981.exe and HP_CLI_Installer_9.5.0.1050.exe...

Or just look for files with 9.5 in that directory... Plenty of them... Should be...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

You're right Bart, thanks I was being a chimp :)

Incidentally, now that my CMC has downloaded the 9.5 files is there any way to get my 9.0 up to date with the 9.0 patches?

I don't want to go to 9.5 for a little while (until I know it's stable) but it seems I can no longer update my 9.0 boxes to the latest 9.0 patches...

Thanks,
Paul
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi Paul,

When you go to the CMC menu Help - Preferences - Upgrades, when you set Upgrade Selection Mode to Advanced, normally (I never tried it but it should be possible) you will be prompted for upgrades that needs to be installed.

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

Perfect!  That gives me the option to do just the 9.0 updates.

Thanks,

Paul