1748031 Members
4881 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

W2008 R2 iSCSI SAN, cluster, CSV, changing Hyper-V settings behaviour

Fred Blum
Valued Contributor

W2008 R2 iSCSI SAN, cluster, CSV, changing Hyper-V settings behaviour

I have run the cluster server wizard and have a green light all the way with iSCSI Lefthand DSM MPIO (9). Enabled CSV and mirror disk and everything seems good to go.

Before adding a Hyper-V VM I wanted to change the default settings of where Hyper-V VMs and VHDs are created by default to c:\ClusterStorage\Volume2\Hyper-V. Volume1 is the mirror disk. When I do this on cluster node 1 which is at that time not the owner of the Storage, the management window starts to misbehave. It becomes irresponsive, the window starts to flickr or will give me a rights error. I can only change this setting by having node one taking ownership of the storage.

Is this by design? ArenтАЩt clustered shared volumes truly shared and accessible by both nodes?

TIA,

Fred
6 REPLIES 6
jmurphy_1
Occasional Contributor

Re: W2008 R2 iSCSI SAN, cluster, CSV, changing Hyper-V settings behaviour

Is the mirror disk you refer to the quorum witness disk? It sounds like you have added that LUN to CSV. Is that correct?

That seems like a bad idea, and I'm surprised the cluster let you do that. The witness disk being accessible by two nodes at the same time could cause a split brain condition if the network connectivity between the nodes was severed.

Some actions against a CSV can only be done on the node that holds the resource. Others require that redirected mode be turned on too (defrag). To run chkdsk you must take the CSV offline entirely.
Fred Blum
Valued Contributor

I do not think that would be possible. I probably put you of track by the Volume1 is the mirror disk statement, but there is no Volume1 under C:\ClusterStorage\.

I have only one LUN under
- Cluster Shared Volume
C:\ClusterStorage\Volume2

And under Storage
- Disk witness in quorum
Clusterdisk 1 Online Node2
Volume (G) NTFS 1GB
- CSV
clusterdisk 2 Online Node1
c:\ClusterStorage\Volume2

When I open c:\ClusterStorage\ I only see Volume2

On node1 disk 2 the mirror is reserved.
On Node2 the CSV is reserved.

I can not open c:\clusterstorage\ on Node2 and a cluster event error 5120 and 5142 is logged as the storage/paths are lost.
Fred Blum
Valued Contributor

It seems I have disabled SMB on the CSV network.
1. Enable Client for Microsoft Networks
2. Enable File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff182358(WS.10).aspx
Fred Blum
Valued Contributor

I walked into the office to check the network settings. Node 2 had restarted this night. In the event log were Windowsupdate and security-DFS errors. The witness disk in both nodes had come offline and could not be loaded.

The internal LAN for LiveMigration has Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks enabled. The network connection on a different subnet for the SAN does not, only IP4. Should it be enabled on the SAN network for CSV? I did but it did not bring the witness disk online. iSCSI settings are okay.

When I now rerun the Validate Cluster Wizard I now have storage and MPIO errors/ warnings.

Due to accepting the DMS MPIO 9 tru WindowsUpdate my servers are now running DSM MPIO 9 and the P4300 is still 8.5.

Tommorrow I am going to remove the CSV, the witness disk and update CMC and SAN to 9.0. Also will remove the DSM MPIO and install clean from the HP disk instead of the WindowsUpdate version.
Fred Blum
Valued Contributor

It is not possible to remove the WindowsUpdate DSM MPIO 9. It is only shown under history as succesful. Stil under details of the MPIO it is listed as version 8.5.

I removed the CSV, destroyed the cluster and VM's. Still unable to regain access again to the SAN by reconfiguring the iSCSI initiator.

I am going for a complete clean install of the W2008 Datacenter.
Fred Blum
Valued Contributor

Removed MPIO DSM 9, MPIO returned to teamed nick on the server nodes, deleted and recreated the volumes as the had become inaccessible due to persistent lock issues with the DSM MPIO 9 update.