StoreVirtual Storage
1752753 Members
4533 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Windows 2008 Dynamic Volumes are they supported?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shamus27
Occasional Visitor

Windows 2008 Dynamic Volumes are they supported?

With a P4000 - with a standard thin or full provisioned Volume is a dynamic volume supported when is the disk managment MMC in Windows 2008R2.

It doesn't work for me and was wondering should it?

5 REPLIES 5
oikjn
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Windows 2008 Dynamic Volumes are they supported?

You can definitely connect a windows server to a LUN (thick or thin) and configure a disk as a dynamic disk.  I"ve done it for both.  Actually used is as a screwed up way to do a live migration from one array to another by setting up a raid1 mirror of the os and the after it was synced I broke it and removed the original drive.  That isn't something I woudl suggest doing as a standard migration method, but it worked when I had no other option.

What do you want a dynamic disk LUN?  Only reason I could think is for a DPM server or the situation I said above.

Shamus27
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your reply and answer.

A test team asked for them, to shrink and expand volumes and then recreate.

Have tried again and can convert a disk from basic to dynamic but cannot create a dynamic disk from a new volume presented, that helps a lot.

Joris Vliegen
Advisor

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The document states that 2003 and older is not supported but 2008 and higher yes...

So if U have 2008 it should be OK...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
oikjn
Honored Contributor

interesting.  I was using 2008 and can say that manual reconnection is definitely not a problem.