1748088 Members
4989 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Windows Server 2012 R2 Support and P4500G2

Sandy Wood
Frequent Advisor

Windows Server 2012 R2 Support and P4500G2

We have two management groups, one are running P4500G2's and one running 4730's. Both groups are at 10.5. We've noticed we're having a problem with Windows Server 2012 R2 systems keeping iscsi connections after reboots when connecting to the P4500G2 group. After reboots, iscsi goes into 'Reconnecting' and we have to resort to deleting Favorites in iscsi and wait for about 15 minutes for the targets to be rediscovered. 

Has anyone seen this type of behaviour with P4500G2's before and Server 2012 R2?

5 REPLIES 5
Emilo
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

I just have a few questions for you.

Is this something that just started happening?

Is this a new configuraton or one that has been in place for sometime?

Are you using DSM/MPIO?

Is this a MS Cluster enviorment?

Sandy Wood
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the post back. Let me try and answer your questions.

Is this something that just started happening?

Yes, it started about 4 weeks ago. We opend a support case with Microsoft who deemed it a 'middleware' problem.

Is this a new configuraton or one that has been in place for sometime?

This configuration has been in place for over 6 months or so.

Are you using DSM/MPIO?

Yes, we're using the LeftHand SDM for MPIO 10.0.0.486.1

Is this a MS Cluster enviorment?

No, this is happening on physical Proliant boxes.

Our thought was that it might be an HP proliant nic update that may have caused an issue. We wanted to make sure that our LeftHand was healthy.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

sounds like an MPIO issue.  I would double-check to make sure the iscsi settings are correct and set per HP's suggestions which is easy to fat-finger mistake.  Beyond that, I would at least update DSM to 10.5, but now that 11.5 is out you might want to skip to that DSM since it also works for connecting to older clusters.

Manfri
Frequent Advisor

I suspect that in some way the iscsi nic are active a bit later that you would like.

Or the switches block the traffic during boot ( if you do not set the ports as access spanning tree can cause that ).

Maybe you can try starting the iscsi target on server not automatically but in delayed starting or even manually with a script that run some minutes ater reboot.

In either cases remember that also the services that depends on iscsi disk ( es:sql, exchange, file serve... whatever ) must also delayed.

i do not know if ever existed 10.5 dsm ( or even 11 ) and i ever wanted to find some compatibility matrix between saniq and dsm.... 

Emilo
Trusted Contributor

Which Management Group is affected? Is it just the ones with the P4500G2's?

Are you using muliti-site?

Can you verify the DSM/MPIO is properly configured?

After logging on to a volume via iSCSI, the DSM for MPIO automatically builds a data path to each storage node in the cluster plus one administrative path. You can verify the DSM for MPIO operations by looking at the Details window of the iSCSI connection for the volume after logging on to that volume.  YOu can use this formula to determine how many connections/paths you should have

Volumes * host *  host NICS * (1 + storage systems)