1748215 Members
3403 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: error when attempting to upgrade: “can’t retrieve alarm list”

Tedh256
Frequent Advisor

error when attempting to upgrade: “can’t retrieve alarm list”

The “can’t retrieve alarm list” error is preventing me from upgrading to San/iQ 9.5

What's the deal? The nodes appear to be functioning well, but with this error we are reluctant to put production resources on the storage (it's pretty new - purchased last spring, just recently installed).

Ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
Tedh256
Frequent Advisor

attached are screen shots of the actual errors. Anyone else seen this? These nodes should have full internet access, and clearly the CMC can communicate with the nodes ... I'm at a loss to understand what may be going on.

Emilo
Trusted Contributor

this is a network issue.

The machine you are running the upgrade from is it muliti-honned?

If so disalbe the the NIC that is not attached to the san.

Also they are a couple of patches you might need to intstall before you do the actual upgrade.

When you start the CMC look at the alarms list and it probably says something like "warnning alarms may not be available". If so you have to make that error go away first.

From what version of SANIq are you trying to upgrade from?

how many nodes?

Tedh256
Frequent Advisor

the CMC machine is not multi-homed

We do have the "warnning alarms may not be available" message - but I can see nothing wrong with the environment that would prevent the CMC from communicating with the nodes, or the nodes with the CMC. In short - I have no idea how to make that go away.

I've seen this at one other site, and when I mentioned it to an HP tech, he said it was "spurious" and it did not prevent that unit from upgrading.

2 nodes, I believe they are 9.0 (whatever nodes were shipping back in spring 2011)

Aart Kenens
Advisor

Hello Tedh256, Contact HP support because you need a hotfix patch (• Patch 10111-00 (bios upgrade P4000 G2)) We experienced the same issue. good luck.
Emilo
Trusted Contributor

its not patch 100111 its patch 10105 its a support mode only function.

So if you want you can contact support or do a search for that on this site.

You will need to edit the preferences.txt file to install.

Tedh256
Frequent Advisor

Excellent - I will open a ticket - but I'm wondering what you mean by "it's a support mode only function"?
Emilo
Trusted Contributor

it means you have to "hack" the preferences.txt file and make it support mode.