1748170 Members
3970 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

iSCSI Initiator

HMUSER
Advisor

iSCSI Initiator

When i am adding in my connections do i need to create a connection for each NIC for each switch?

5 REPLIES 5
Cajuntank MS
Valued Contributor

Re: iSCSI Initiator

You establish a connection from each iSCSI NIC you have in your server. After that, also make sure you are set to round robin under MPIO...assuming you are using HP DSM MPIO.
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Just to be sure, this means 2 IP adresses on the 2 NICs, and on the SAN side 2 times the server registered with 2 MAC adresses?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !

Here is a document I created to setup the HP DSM MPIO correctly.

David R. (Dru) Urbaniak
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for that, looks good.

However it does not mention the configuration of the NICs. Do you configure them with NIC teaming or 2 seperate IP addresses?

Because this has impact on the configuration on CMC side...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
oikjn
Honored Contributor

for MPIO you are doing different IP addresses for each NIC on the server.

EG.  if you have 10.0.0.10 as your VIP (and 10.0.0.11 and 10.0.0.12 as VSAs with 10.0.0.11 as the coordinating memeber), and you have two NICs on your server (say 10.0.0.21 and 10.0.0.22), you would connect with the iSCSI initiator using the document for MPIO (and DSM if you can) specifying one source IP to the VIP address and then repeat the same setup for the 2nd NIC.

For example, using MPIO+HPDSM on windows and w/ a 2-node cluster with one server connecting with two NICs, you should see 2 connections to the coordinating node and 4 DSM connections (one for each server NIC to each VSA NIC.  When setup with the HPDSM, you only need to make the MPIO connection to the VIP and let the HPDSM take care of the rest of the connections.

You can tell if it is setup correctly by going to the iSCSI sessions tab in CSM of the volume you are configuring.  The gateway connection is the VSA IP address and the initiator IP is the IP of the NICs on the server, so in my example above you should see a connection from 10.0.0.21 to 10.0.0.11, one from 10.0.0.22 to 10.0.0.11, and DSM connections of 10.0.0.21 to 10.0.0.11, 10.0.0.21 to 10.0.0.12, 10.0.0.22 to 10.0.0.11, and 10.0.0.22 to 10.0.0.12.