6065 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: p4300 10.0 and storevirtual 11.0

Frankiboy
Advisor

p4300 10.0 and storevirtual 11.0

Hi.

I have a lefthand p4300 10.0 cluster and a CMC 10.5. We have just purchased a storevirtual 4330 which comes with 11.0.

I want to create a new cluster for the 2 new storevirtual nodes.

1. Can CMC 10.05 manage both a 10.0  and a 11.0 cluster? OR should i upgrade cmc to 11, and will CMC 11 be able to manage a 10 and 11.0 cluster?

2. Can these clusternodes reside on the same iscsi subnet? (i know the traffic to hyper-v host may be a bottleneck if u se the same network card)

11 REPLIES 11
Frankiboy
Advisor

and one more thing; if I install the newest version of the hardware vss driver on the hyper-v host, will these be compatible with the p4300 cluster running 10.0?

oikjn
Honored Contributor

upgrade CMC and the DSM/VSS software all of that is compatible with v10.  I think you will have to create a new management group if you want to take advantage of the new features of v11 which don't get activated until ALL the members of the management group are upgraded.

edit:  corrected my post... I said cluster instead of management group...  you will need a new mgt group.

Frankiboy
Advisor

Ok.

I can use the same subnet on all the nodes?

a_o
Valued Contributor

IP address  subnetting  has nothing to do with performance per-se.
Are you routing data between your nodes and hosts?
If so, your performance is going to be  affected by your router's capabilities. If the router can give above NIC/wire speeds, it might not be an issue.

In your specific case, the solution to your CMC problem is not affected by subnetting.

a_o
Valued Contributor

To expand on the above, putting your two clusters on two separate subnets has no benefit from a performance perspective.

For example, as long as they're on the same collision domain, they would be sharing what ever bandwidth is available on that part of the physical network. Again, this has nothing to do with IP subnetting.

Even in a normal switched network, the aggregate bandwidth provided by your core or main switch will determine the total available bandwidth, having nothing to do with IP subnetting.

If you've physically separated the networks, i.e. in a truly partitioned network, then I guess you'll have to expand on your question.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

you really need a new managment group and not just a new cluster since v11 and v10 in the same mgt group will default the GROUP to the v10 features.  That said, you can have both management groups managed by CMCv11 AND you can have both management groups on the same subnet.  Assuming you are only splitting this because of the version difference and all your servers are on the same subnet, it would be a mistake to put the new nodes onto a different subnet.

Frankiboy
Advisor

If i create a new management group, does this group need its own FOM too or will the one I have in the P4300 group be used?
oikjn
Honored Contributor

it would need its own.  Its logically 100% independant from the other group.  You would have to setup users, servers, sites, DNS...  everything.  In that respect its a pain in the ass, but the upside is that you get the features of v11 in the new nodes AND in theory it would allow you to do staged updates between the two groups so you don't have 100% of your SAN under one configuration (for even more redundancy).

Frankiboy
Advisor

hi,

when it comes to features i reallu just need two nodes with network redundancy and a large lun to save my hyper-v files and hardware snapshot, thats it :)

What yould you guys do then?

If I put them in the same management group, i could still keep my p4300 on 10 and f.eks update the storevirtual 4330 nodes separately to a future edition of 11.5?