5240 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: p4800 hardware raid question

larsjohansen5
Occasional Advisor

p4800 hardware raid question

Hi,

We are implementing a P4800 for a customer, and I have a question about the Hardware raid level.

By default it create 7  raid 5 sets over the 35 disks. Are these sets striped again, so its in reality Hardware RAID 50?

5 REPLIES 5
InvisibleMan

I'm bumping this up.

I have the same question. How does the RAID work in both the physical and then when you add multiples of these (network RAID).

Lars mentioned that it is setup as 7 Raid 5 sets of 4+1. Can someone confirm that?

If Databases hate RAID 5, then why is HP touting this as having such high IOPS?

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

There are 2 RAID sets inside a P4xxx environment. On hardware level U have RAID5 (to avoid that specific disk failures will generate performance and availability impact on the network RAID above).

On top of that, the SANiQ software will create network RAID 10 volumes (or 5 or 6) on top of the hardware disks (in RAID5).

Don't worry too much with your databases with the underlying RAID5 since there is RAID10 on top of it... And a lot of RAID controllers with cache...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
RemyZ
Advisor

On top of that, the SANiQ software will create network RAID 10 volumes (or 5 or 6) on top of the hardware disks (in RAID5).

I doubt that SAN/iQ itself is installed on network RAID 10 volumes.

--------------------------------------
Remy Zandwijk
VU University Amsterdam
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The SANiQ software itself is installed (off course) on the hardware RAID5 volumes on the disks itself...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
RemyZ
Advisor

Oops, sorry. I totally mis-read. I read that SAN/iQ was installed on network RAID-10 volumes :-)
--------------------------------------
Remy Zandwijk
VU University Amsterdam