New Discussion юеВ

Re: presenting 1 LUN to 2 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
ramy kh
Occasional Advisor

presenting 1 LUN to 2 server

dear team,
i have a problem in assigning one LUN in hp p4300 lefthand to 2 blades servers ( planing to do cluster) running windows server 2003
the problem is that i can access the volume but any modification will not appear on the second server without restar , i know that ther is a delay but i wait 1 day and changes made frome the first server cannot be seeying by the second without restart

10x in advance for your assist
regards,
8 REPLIES 8
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

you can't use a NTFS volume at two servers at the same time. NTFS can't handle multiple access, this will result in data corruption and/ or data loss. A cluster will prevent the standby node from accessing the volume. So you have to setup a cluster first.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
ramy kh
Occasional Advisor

hello,

to do the closter i have to test first that any change on the volume will be visible to the second server , and i'm not writing from both servers to the storage , what i need is just to read the modification and not write.
and the modification is visible after the reboot so maybe it is problem in setting the iscsi initiator

10x for your help

regards
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

sorry, but that is not possible with NTFS. Even if you do not write to a filesystem, windows will do that for you, for example to write changes to the MFT etc.

It's not required, that you test this before you setup the cluster. If you want to test it, write to the filesystem, shutdown the server, start the other node, check the fs, shutdown the node, and start the first node again. But you can't attach the volume to two or more running nodes.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
ramy kh
Occasional Advisor

hello

i do the same in EVA and it works but in p4300 didn't work

the volume is shaired between 2 servers so if i write from first node on storage and go to see the file from 2nd node shoul be possible but in my case ( even if i shutdown the 1rst node the modification is not visible on the second)
and if i do the clustering both nodes will be up so when one node go down the second should be running wich mean that the server will not restart so HOW THE SERVER WILL SEE THE VOLUME

1OX for your help

regards,
ramy kh
Occasional Advisor

hi,
one more question:

if both servers are up and running and i do modification on the volume frome server one and after i shutdown the server one , it's possible to see the modification from server 2 witout reboot ??

regards,
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

"the volume is shaired between 2 servers so if i write from first node on storage and go to see the file from 2nd node shoul be possible but in my case ( even if i shutdown the 1rst node the modification is not visible on the second)
and if i do the clustering both nodes will be up so when one node go down the second should be running wich mean that the server will not restart so HOW THE SERVER WILL SEE THE VOLUME"

Actually, in a Microsoft Cluster environment... Cluster disks are not shared access at all. Only 1 server can ever have access to the disk at any given point in time. The way the second node "see's" the disk is through a resource failover. In otherwords... you can not access the data from both servers at the same time.

"if both servers are up and running and i do modification on the volume frome server one and after i shutdown the server one , it's possible to see the modification from server 2 witout reboot ??"

In a cluster environment... Yes. Shutting down the first node will automatically trigger a resource failover. If the servers are NOT clustered, then yes... a reboot may be necessary in order to see the changes.

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
ramy kh
Occasional Advisor

hello,

thank you for your clear answer and your assist

regards,

ramy kh
Occasional Advisor

i got the needed information 10x for all