4113 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: replace crashed vsa node

danletkeman
Frequent Advisor

replace crashed vsa node

Hello,

I have a three node vsa cluster and one of my hardware boxes crashed and I had to replace the entire server.  Now I have a down node in the cluster and a new node waiting to replace it.  I have setup an entirely new box with a new mac address.   What is the correct procedure to replace this node?

Thanks,

Dan.

7 REPLIES 7
danletkeman
Frequent Advisor

Figured it out.  I left the crashed node in the cluster.  Found the new node, added it to the management group and then right clicked on the cluster and exchanged the bad node for the good node.  It's re-striping now.

5y53ng
Regular Advisor

Hi Dan,

Depending on the nature of the failure, you may be able to take the hard disks from your failed server and install them in the new server. Import the foreign configuration on the RAID controller and then you'll be up and running again.

somordha

Did you give the new VSA the old IP Address and VSA name, or did you change these to new?

a_o
Valued Contributor

Using the old IP address and name will needlessly complicate things.
In fact, I can nearly guarantee that it will not work, unless you want to get under the hood as it were in SAN/IQ.

Just create the new VSA, add it to the MG and exchange it in the cluster.
oikjn
Honored Contributor

I have done it with the same MAC and name and IP without problem a number of times.  Its all about the order you do it in...

shut off the node, then turn on the new node which will then not think its in the management group, then you have to right click on the missing node in the cluster and say repair storage system, when it does that it will then let you join the new node to the cluster and exchange it with the old node.

That is exactly what I did to "upgrade" my SAN from v10.5 to v11.

edit:  one exta thing... I deleted the old node before turning on the new node...  if you ever turn the old node back on it WILL cause funky things.

a_o
Valued Contributor

I have found that sometimes a failed node will cause the CMC to be in state where if you bring up the replacement node with the same IP and name it will FUBAR the entire cluster.

Sometimes a restart of the CMC and clearing of node cache in the CMC would relieve this.
I have seen this multiple times also.
So, I just use a new IP and name, but keep the same MAC address for licensing sake.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

a_o, I've done the exact replacement a dozen or more times without issue, but I did have issues at first, but I think it was because I turned on the original node after I created the new node...  having two nodes with the same MAC and same IP will cause a problem.  I have taken to deleting the original node before I power on the new node just to be sure I don't overlap them at all.  Still, if the OP doesn't require the same name/IP, its probably safter to change them.