108757 Solutions
New Discussion

storage system not ready, offline

SOLVED
Go to solution
ldean
Occasional Visitor

storage system not ready, offline

After a new installation of a cluster containing 2-nodes + FOM on 3rd less powerful node, I was seeing one of the VSA reporting storage system not ready.  I'm guessing it may have something to do with jumbo frames/MTU, but I don't have access to the 10g switch it's connected to in order to configure that.  

I attempted to 'repair storage system', but it told me I had to stop the manager first, so I right clicked and stopped.  Now instead of showing me VSA02, it just lists the IP address, and says storage system offline.  I have tried rebooting the VSA running on that host, and also logged in via SSH and attempted to start the manager, which seemed to succeed but didn't change anything in CMC.  

Any suggestions as to how I can get this VSA reconnected?  The only available action when I right click is to remove it from the cluster, but it won't even let me do that because that would drop me below the required redundancy levels.  Oh and one more thing, the serial number of this storage system shows "RIP0-00:50:56..."  Does that mean this storage system is now resting in peace never to return?

3 REPLIES 3
ldean
Occasional Visitor

Re: storage system not ready, offline

Update:  I realized that VSA02 was listed under 'available systems' in the CMC, so I was able to re-add it to the manangement group and cluster.  It's restriping now, and I will remove the failed system after that completes, so I might be in good shape.  Still gotta figure out what I can do about jumbo frames though.

Thomas_SG
Advisor
Solution

If the failed system is the same as the one you are adding back now, it will likely disappear automatically once the rebalance is completed.

As for Jumbo Frames, you have to make sure your switch is configured with the same. Othwrwise, it won't work for sure.

ldean
Occasional Visitor

You're correct, the failed system was removed once the restripe completed.  

I also discovered the switch natively accepts jumbo frames, so nothing to change there.  Jumbo frames are flowing now that I have the vswitch set to 9000, and everything looks good.  Thanks!