StoreVirtual Storage
1753762 Members
4736 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

unable to assign tiers with RDM disk - bug or feature?

andrei_r
Occasional Contributor

unable to assign tiers with RDM disk - bug or feature?

Hi all,

I'm trying to deploy HP StoreVirtual VSA with a local RDM disk on esxi 5.5.

The RDM was created with "vmkfstools -z" and attached to the VSA VM to be Tier 1. I also have a vmdk on SSD for the second disk, that I would like to use as Tier 0.

The problem is when I try to assign Tier 1 to my RDM SATA drive, I get an error "SCSI device doesnt match (/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part2=1)" .. screenshot attached. This unhelpful message does not give a clue...

Why I cannot assign tiers with RDMs when I'm able to with vmdks? Any way to further troubleshoot this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Andrei

2 REPLIES 2
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Re: unable to assign tiers with RDM disk - bug or feature?

Hi

If the RDM is a local storage disk  it is not enabled by default to be presented to VM guest

you must enable this feature in the ESXi managmet.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1017530

Regards

andrei_r
Occasional Contributor

Re: unable to assign tiers with RDM disk - bug or feature?

Hi,

thank you for your reply. As I stated in the original post, the RDM disk is created already with "vmkfstools -z" and attached to the VSA VM, so your reference to VMware KB article is unfortunately not helpful.

I would like to know if anyone was able to successfully tier the local RDM in HP VSA, or this feature is broken?

Thanks again!