1751971 Members
4536 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: update 8.1 to 8.5

Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

Uwe, definately agree with you on room for improvement. I've yet to hear from official channels that 8.5 had been released.

But, that's really what the community is for. Hopefully the Lefthand Community will develope better under HP. I was at the HP StorageWorks Techday in Houston a couple of weeks ago and there seems to be a lot of dedication to the P4000 series within HP and a lot of excitement. It's still just getting integrated into the HP mothership though (heck, think of how bad it was a year ago). Things are getting better and they're going to continue to get better.

The real question is.... when is 9.0 going to be released?!?
Paul Miano
Occasional Advisor

Follow this link:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02073063/c02073063.pdf

It is the upgrade guide for 8.5. There is a section in there on enlarging the OS partition for VSA due to VMTools being larger than in the past.

There was another gotcha that I can't find again about changing the replication from 2-way to RAID10 (the new default which means the same as 2-way). It noted that this change needs to be made in the cmc before updating the storage node or the volume could become unavailable after the update??? Has anyone else seen this?

paul
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I think you are talking about the Availability/Redundancy setting which is documented in:

- HP StorageWorks P4000 Series SAN/iQ Release Notes
AX696-96008__20100329 (March 2010) [3ed] - c02073062

on page 5: "Redundancy mode removed from CMC"
Paul Miano
Occasional Advisor

That's the document!!!!

Upgrading volumes configured as 2├в Way redundant may lead to a volume
availability issue:

Prior to release 8.5, replication priority allowed you to designate whether data availability or data
redundancy is more important in your SAN configuration. Beginning with release 8.5 and continuing
forward, the default is availability and the choices have been removed from the CMC. When upgrading
to release 8.5, all 2├в Way volumes appear as Network RAID-10 (2├в Way mirror). However, volumes
that were originally 2├в Way redundant volumes may become unavailable under certain circumstances.
SAN/iQ software release notes 7
To ensure that 2├в Way redundant volumes convert properly to Network RAID-10 (2├в Way mirror),
before you upgrade, change the volume Replication Priority from Redundancy to Availability.
Olvi_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi!

Do I need new licenses if I update from 8.1 to 8.5? Anyone with experience?

Thanks in advance
-Olvi
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
1: No - you already have them
2: yes - VSA and h/w = no probs for me. make sure you read the 8.5 rel notes first though
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Olvi_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Mark... for quick response!

-Olvi