StoreVirtual Storage
1745853 Members
4370 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: upgrade from 12.6 to 12.7 fails (cluster reaching its total capacity)

Christato71
Visitor

Hello, 

Just checking to see if there are any updates on this. I am having this same exact issue. 

Richard7
Advisor

Hi Oikjn, I'm going to try and open a case with HP. If they can't resolve, then I'll be migrating the data to another server for the duration of the upgrade. That will take a fair bit of time so I hope we can avoid it! 

Richard7
Advisor

It was recommended that we run the CMC in support mode, which allow us to run the upgrades on each node individually.

We're trying this soon, so I'll report back when successful.

Richard7
Advisor

Running the upgrades in support mode worked fine. It doesn't resolve the low space issue of course, so I expect when the next software update comes out we'll need to do the same thing.
Thanks.

Richard

oikjn
Honored Contributor

glad to hear you updated ok.  are you giving up on enabling space reclaimation?  I don't know how many LUNs you have, but assuming there are a few, that should clear up a lot of potential free space so you fall well under that 90% limit.

Christato71
Visitor

How do you run the update in support mode? Is it an option in the CMC?

Richard7
Advisor

Oikjin, yeah I'm not going to worry about space reclaimation for now. We just have the one big LUN taking up all of the space, otherwise I'd probably have sone some rearranging of data

Christato71, You copy these 3 lines into the preferences.txt file found in C:\Users\UserName\.storage_system on the system that has CMC installed.

CmcSystemPreference.supportMode=True
CmcUpgradePreference.useOldUpgrades=true
CmcUpgradePreference.advancedUpgradeMode=true

Careful though as the CMC won't manage quorum for you during the upgrades, so you need to make sure each node is back up and running and the arrary is synched before moving to the next one.

Christato71
Visitor

Richard7, Thanks for the information! Will I need to apply one patch at a time to each node?

Richard7
Advisor

Yes, install them one at a time. It's fairly time consuming, but it's worth taking time to be careful as it won't check to make sure that quorum is maintained during the upgrades, you need to do that yourself.