5271 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vsa 8.5 - no vmware tools?

Christoph Schlagintweit
Occasional Contributor

vsa 8.5 - no vmware tools?

hi there,

i've just deployed a new vsa 8.5 to an esxhost (4.0.0 build 244038) - the summary tab for this vm tells me that no vmware-tools are installed!

is somebody else experiencing this issue?
10 REPLIES 10
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

that's right, no VMware Tools inside the VSA.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I have three V8.5 VSAs (fresh 8.5 installation - no upgrade) on three ESX4 hosts with the same build level. I see "VMware Tools: Out of date" and the VSA's IP addresses are properly reported in vCenter. I can also do a "guest shutdown" through the vSphere Client.

Maybe you did not wait long enough after the VSA boot? It takes some time until the VMware Tools heartbeat is reported.
Christoph Schlagintweit
Occasional Contributor

what kind of vsa have you deployed? ova/f or the regular version?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The one which runs an installer and puts the files to
%ProgramFiles%\...
Christoph Schlagintweit
Occasional Contributor

sadly for me the problem still exists - i've deployed a new vsa - also from the installed files, confiured eth0 in vsa - and waited for a long long time - but still no VMware Tools installed!
Paul_Norton

I'm experiencing the same problem as well. ESXi 4u1 fresh install with a brand new VSA 8.5. I just spent an hour on the phone with HP/LH support and they weren't able to figure out the cause either.
Paul_Norton

I added the new VSA server to a new Management group and cluster. Once I had everything set up, I rebooted the VSA server from the CMC. Once the VSA came back up, the vSphere Client is reporting "Out of date" as it should.
Steve Burkett
Valued Contributor

In the release notes for the 8.5 Update it mentions the following fix:

Patch 10050 - ESX4 (Vsphere) reporting VMware Tools status as "Not installed" for VSA virtual machines.

(From: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=fi&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=4118659&prodNameId=4118705&swEnvOID=54&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-83610-1)