1752788 Members
6333 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

vsa nodes system requirements

Kevin Trinkner
Occasional Advisor

vsa nodes system requirements

Hey guys, wondering if there is any advantage to running more cpu cores/memory on the vsa nodes than the required amount? 

Recently added 25TB of space and ran into the error that I needed to increase the memory to meet the requirements in order to add the disc to the RAID. Got me thinking if there was an advantage of running higher amounts of memory. Just curious.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: vsa nodes system requirements

more CPUs seem to help, but the memory is fixed and doesn't help.  Use only as much memory as specified and maybe 1GB more, but nothing significant.  I tried in the past and it doesn't acually use it.  The memory usage is directly proportional to the storage attached to the system and it doesn't significantly change over time.  Keep the memory for the other VMs :)

Kevin Trinkner
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the response, good to know it's not worth throwing a lot of extra resources at it. 

I find HP's lack of information or technical direction for this product to be pretty disappointing. 

oikjn
Honored Contributor

yes, the higher level engineering information about how the VSA actually works and what it does on the software side is definitely lacking.  At least the documentation on the actual operational side is really good.  Basically, if you read the manual and follow its suggestions, it does work and it is pretty clear about how to set everything up with the options and explain how all the functions work.  99% of the issues or questions with setup can be answered with a simple search of the help field.