Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753894 Members
7454 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to PC to PC network w/ crossover cable?

Jason Potsander_3
Occasional Contributor

How to PC to PC network w/ crossover cable?

I want to network my home computer (Win XP Pro) with my laptop (Win 98) using a crossover cable. Can someone give me step by step directions on how to do this?
I tried allready, and sometimes the two computers can "see" each other and other time they can't. I have both computers on and the cross over cable is plugged in to each. I ran the Win XP networking Wizard on the home computer and it made a disk to install the networking parameters on the laptop. At times I am able to access the laptop from the home computer and othe I recieve an error that the laptop in not accessable.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Jason
6 REPLIES 6
Joaquin Gil de Vergara
Respected Contributor

Re: How to PC to PC network w/ crossover cable?

the connection is this

1 ---> 3
2 ---> 6
3 ---> 1
4 ---> 7
5 ---> 8
6 ---> 2
7 ---> 4
8 ---> 5

Teach is the best way to learn
Paul Sperry
Honored Contributor

Jason Potsander_3
Occasional Contributor

Ok, I bought a cross over cable to making the cable is not the issue. I need step by step intructions on how to "intall" the cross over cable so that both computers can see each other and share an internet connection. I tried using the Win XP networking wizard with limited success. Sometimes the computers see each other and other times they don't. Any suggestions on why this is or what to do about it?
Thanks,
Jason
Paul Sperry
Honored Contributor

Sounds like you need to add network protocals.
check this site out.

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/mspc2pct.htm
Steve Labar
Valued Contributor

Sometimes in a windows peer-to-peer network, everything can be setup right, but it takes more than 1 try to get the workgrooup going. If you have both of them turned on and can not access the other try rebooting one at a time. I would probably reboot the Win98 computer first.

Good Luck.

Steve
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, If I have understood...

1 plug the cable.
2 Have you put IP addresses on the two computers?
If it's not the case, go in the network properties --> TCP/IP and put IP adress for example 192.168.1.2 (netmask 255.255.255.0) for the first and 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 for the second.
When it's done, launch a DOS command prompt and type "ping 192.168.1.2" on the PC with the IP address 192.168.1.3.
Do the same thing on the other PC (change the IP address in the command)
If you have replies, there is the hardware connectivity.
If it is not the case, there is maybe a problem with the cable or with the LAN card.

Be sure that the Two PC are in the same "Workgroup", Go in the system properties --> Computer name.
Now you should be able to see the other PC in the network neighborhood.
You can also try to find the PC by looking for the IP address .

Regards

GD