1748164 Members
3696 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitoring Switch Complete Traffic from one port

chirug
Occasional Contributor

Monitoring Switch Complete Traffic from one port

I configured few clients and servers on HP 2510-24 Ports. All systems are communicating perfectly. Now i am trying to listen the complete network traffic from one port, where i was configured this port listen the all ports on the switch. I am using another device to listen this complete network traffic by running wireshak. How much this wireshark will give accurate network traffic from this port? In the wireshark i have got dropped packets and delay by using the tcptrace.
So my question is, this monitoring port capable to listen the all the traffic on the switch perfectly. The maximum network load i am using here 80Mbps.
Any help....
thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
p3rlphr33k
Occasional Advisor

i dont know about perfect but it is free and you cant argue with that.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

are the ports 100Mbit or Gbit?
monitoring on a heavy loaded port will almost certainly lead to dropped packets.
NB! dropped by the switch to the monitoring port not necessarily to the destion of the packets.
there is no way to determine what packets will be dropped by the switch that should duplicate them to the monitoring port.

wireshark (in my experience) can capture all the traffic sent to the NIC of the "listening device".

Beacuse both TxD and RXD data from the source-port(or ports) are sent to the monitoring port, and outgoing speed is only 1x linespeed; wheras source (Tx+Rx) on a full-duplex port can be 2x linespeed,
and with multiple sourceports n x 2 x linespeed.
chirug
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response....I am testing on 100Mbps Network connection, here i have connected 5 servers. Both monitoring port and server ports capable of transmitting and receiving 100Mbps data.Configured the switch from the hyper terminal should listen all the traffic from one single port(this is not exceeding 100Mbps).
I am testing with single server and multiple servers scenario, listening the complete network traffic.
So my doubt is whether the wireshark able to listen the traffic transmitting between all servers configured to that particular switch or not. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.