6344 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Warranty Lookup

maver1ck
Occasional Contributor

Warranty Lookup

Hi

We are using IMC for our network management.

Currently I have exported all Switches with their Serial Numbers to an CSV File.

My problem is now, that I am unable to find a website to lookup the Production date and current warranty status of all switches.

Do you have got any recommendations?

Best regards

Thomas

3 REPLIES 3
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Re: Warranty Lookup

Hello,

Assuming that we are talking about common or garden Campus LAN switches attracting a Lifetime Warranty and not Data Centre class switches - I have found that you don't necessarily need the production dates and Serial numbers, all that you really need are two things -

1) The End of Sale for the particular model of switch

2) The End of Full Support date (occurs 5 years after End of Sale)

To the best of my knowledge:

After the "End of Sale" date the switch is still gets feature enhancements for five years - i.e. full support like it was still current...

Then after the 5 years is up after EoSale, the switch still continues to get both security fixes and the odd critical bug fix.

The hardware itself has a warranty for life as long as it is registered to you as the first owner.

I created a little chart last year as a reminder of when the Procurve / Provision models were moving between End of Sale and End of Full Support. Probably needs bringing up to date but it does aggregate a lot of the EoS stuff into a single page and give you an idea what i'm on about.

If someone wanted to do the same for the Comware switches or discovered an official summary page that could be useful. :-)

Don't forget the "Solved" and "Kudos - Thumbs up" buttons when posts are interesting, useful, helpful etc as they let others know about posts that are worth reading.

Thanks

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
maver1ck
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ian

thanks for your reply.

The problem is, we are having a lot of 5406zl v1 switches we would like to replace.

I would like to start with the oldest onces in the next years.

So there is still a lifetime warranty for all procurve switches if I understand you right?

What about Comware, do you know what lifetime cycle they have when we talk about Hardware replacement?

Best regards

Thomas

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Hello,

So, for example - looking here: 

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/docs/products/eos/Product%20End%20of%20Sale%20Announcement-%20v1zl%20Modules.pdf 

The 5400zl "v1" modules went End of Sale in mid 2015 so they still have 4 years of full support before they drop to security & critical fix. That said you are going to find more capability, scalability and feature-set in the v2 and v3 versions of the modules. 

The chassis themselves are still on sale today as the "R" version with redundant management cards.  The "classic" non-R version of the chassis supposedly went EoSale at the end of 2015 but there's always the chance there are still some sat in warehouses etc. 

This seems to be the master lookup site - 

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/networking/products/eos/ - but the links don't seem to be working at present :-( 

FYI - what I've been calling end of "full support" is officially called end of "Engineering support" 

As regards Comware switches - for those outside of the data centre (i.e. not 5700/59x0/7900/11900/12x00) that have a Limited Lifetime Warranty - exactly the same rules apply with the hardware and software support. 

The only thing to be additionaly careful about with the Comware LAN switches is that sometimes you need to look at the small print to see if the additional peripherals i.e. removable PSU and fibre optic SFP modules carry the same LLW as the switch itself. So you may be as well to factor in the odd PSU or SFP as spares in your design. 

Hope that was useful - don't forget Kudos & Solved buttons to help others navigate to helpful posts. 

Cheers

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me