108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

10-GbE to 1Gb mini-GBIC

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

10-GbE to 1Gb mini-GBIC

Can a fiber connect a 10-GbE port to 1Gb mini-GBIC (SFP) port ?
Is there anyway to do that ?? like a converter or some config commands ??

Regards,
Islam Hassan
7 REPLIES 7
rick jones
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: 10-GbE to 1Gb mini-GBIC

No, a fibre cannot connect a 10 GbE port to a 1 GbE port - IIRC there is no way for the 10GbE side to get negotiated down to a slower speed. To go from fibre 10 GbE to 1GbE you need an intervening switch/router/whatnot.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

Thanks alot i just wanted to be sure 100%

Regards,
Islam Hassan
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

Done
Joe Jaiyen

I'm using Procurve 5308XL switch with 1Gb Mini-Gbic. I plan to have 50/125 10gb fiber install from the server room (MDF) to an IDF room. I want to connect 10GB fiber to 1gb mini switch. I do not need 10 gb bandwidth right now but wiring for the future. Your post saying that it's not possible unless there is intervening switch or router. Now it is 2011, do I have any other options to make it to work and what are they? I am not ready to buy a new switch due to budget concern. I ask my cabling consultant and he said that it's possible to connect 10gb fiber to 1gb mini-Gbic but not 1Gb fiber to 10gb mini-gbic. Please help.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I was saying that an optical port running at 10GbE cannot speak directly with an optical port running at 1GbE - there is, IIRC no "speed sensing" for that situation.

That is different from running 1GbE over fibre rated to carry 10GbE traffic. For that you need to look at the specs/requirements of the 1GbE optical devices you plan on putting at both ends of the fibre and compare them to what the fibre provides.
Joe Jaiyen

Let me rephrase it. Will this set up work if:
At the MDF has a procurve 5803XL with ProCurve Gigabit-SX-LC mini-GBIC J4858A and at the IDF has a Procurve 2650 with ProCurve Gigabit-SX-LC mini-GBIC J4858A. From both switch has Aqua cable LC connect to SC on the fiber enclosure in the MDF and IDF respectively. Between both fiber enclosures, it is a 12 strand 50/125 10 gig fiber optic cable.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

A web search on "j4858a quickspecs" should lead to:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11988_div/11988_div.html

which state that 50/125 cabling is supported, and gives distance based on cable characteristics.