4485 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1000-LX in 100Mbps?

Marcus_20
Frequent Advisor

1000-LX in 100Mbps?

Hi.
Does anyone know if it's possible to run a J4132A gigabit interface in 100Mbps mode?

If not, how do I terminate a 100-FX Singelmode signal in a HP2524?

Thank you in advance...
5 REPLIES 5
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Hi.

Answer to your question is shortly no. GB Fiber modules can be configured to autonegotiation or 1000FDx and that's it, they're not capable of communicating in 100MB/s.

As for terminating the FX signal... frankly, I don't understand what you mean by this. If you need to create a link to a device which uses 100-FX interface, you must use J4853A 100-FX transceiver.

HTH,
Arimo
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

Marcus,

I think the only way is to use a media converter, either
- to convert the singlemode fiber to multimode and then to use a 100Base-FX transceiver in HP2524
or
- to convert the singlemode fiber to 100Base-TX and then connect it to a 10/100 port in HP2524.

The second choice may be better as it leaves the transceiver slot on HP2524 free for some other use. (And a SM-to-copper converter is cheaper than a SM-to-MM converter, I believe.)
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Thanks Markku.

However, a word of warning on media converters... these are frequently causing link problems, so I'd suggest to try to borrow one for testing first and see how that fits into the network.

Arimo
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

Now that you mentioned it... In one branch office we had occasionally a link problem. The problem was always solved by momentarily disconnecting the fibers from the converter.

After the office moved to other part of the building, there hasn't been any problems anymore. The converters (100 Mbps SM-to-copper) were the same, only the fibers from the building's main distribution facility to the office were from a new installation. (The other end of the connection was in another building and didn't have any changes.)

So, a fast conclusion is that the problems were caused by the cables. However, this was just one case and there were no further investigations about the issue at any time.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

1. What kind of fiber do you have installed: single mode fiber (SMF), multi mode fiber (MMF)?

2. Why would you want to do that: run a J4132A gigabit interface in 100Mbps mode?
- you need to cover a higher distance?
- you have MMF and your boss forbids you to buy 2 mode conditioning patch chords?

3. SMF on Gigabit LX can cover 5 km.

4. MMF on Gigabit LX can cover 550 m (you might not need mode conditioning patch chords if you use MMFs that comply with the ITU-T G.651 and ISO/IEC 793-2 Type A1b -for 62.5/125 microns- or A1a -for 50/125 microns).

5. MMF on 100Base-FX (using FDx) can cover 2 km.