1753734 Members
4468 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 10GBase-T support

Tony Barrett_2
Frequent Advisor

10GBase-T support

Might be a bit of a longshot (unless anyone from HP is prepared to comment), but does anyone know if HP have any plans to release 10GBase-T modules/gbic's for the 5300xl/5400zl or 2900 series switches.

I noticed that the IEEE 802.3an standard was recently ratified allowing 10G to run over CAT6 up to 50m at over augmented CAT6a up to 100m. This would be the killer medium for the transition to 10G at the core. Can't see many implementing the Infiniband (CX4) connector, as it's going to die completely when manufacturers start rolling out 10GBase-T adapters/GBIC's
3 REPLIES 3
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tony,

What makes you think that Infiniband is going to die soon, and what is your definition of soon? The same manufacturers that make CX4 make Gbic's so IMHO that would be like cutting your own hand to sell band-aid.
Tony Barrett_2
Frequent Advisor

Well, if you've already invested in Infiniband CX4, then fine, that's your choice.I am pretty sure though that the 10G push outside the core (fibre) infrastructure is going to be made over 10G-BaseT, not CX4. That's what drove Gb to the desktop, and that's what will drive 10G takeup. Might take a couple of years, but 10G on the desktop will evolve just like Gb NIC's are now cheap and prolific.

Now that the standard has been ratified, big vendors will start putting 100/1000/10000 10G RJ45's on servers first (like Dell, HP), then probably desktops in the next 12-18 months.

This evolution will also drive down CAT6 prices, and make augmented CAT6a (10G over 100m) the standard port install within 2 years.

Believe me, in 3 years CX4 will be forgotten, but manufacturers will still need to support it, because they released cards for it. I'm not saying they'll regret it as someone had to be first out the door with 10G over copper.
Paul Boven
Occasional Advisor

I've been asking my HP Rep here in the Netherlands the same question, who replied 'first half 2008' for X2 converters, and a module with 10Gbase-T ports is apparently also on the roadmap. I've already installed Cat6A after the latest upgrade, and we're going to need 10Gbase-T RSN - we could use it now already.
VLBI - it's a fringe science