1753856 Members
7076 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

2 NEW 5308 SWITCHES & NEED HELP SETTING UP MULTIPLE VLANS & TRUNK

Paul Kondilys

2 NEW 5308 SWITCHES & NEED HELP SETTING UP MULTIPLE VLANS & TRUNK

Hey Guys......
Just picked up 2 new beauties of 5308xl switches and need help. Seems easy enough but here's the scenario I'm looking 4. Would like to setup 3 vlans on switch A as follows:
slot A for servers (ex: vlan1 192.168.1.x). slot C & D for clients (ex: vlan2 192.168.2.x), & slot B for special clients (ex: vlan3 192.168.3.x). I need to router between these vlans, and am getting confused with all this unatgged, tagged port stuff. Also, how would I then be abl to setup the same vlans on the switch B so that I can load balance the traffic. I want to trunk 2 GB ports between the switches to do this. is this right? Any help would be great! OH, P.S. My servers will have dual GB NIcs so I'm looking to have on NIC plugged into switch A, and the 2nd NIC plugged into switch B.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Mark Landin
Valued Contributor

Re: 2 NEW 5308 SWITCHES & NEED HELP SETTING UP MULTIPLE VLANS & TRUNK

If a single port is going to be in more than one VLAN, then it should be "tagged" for every VLAN it's going to be in. Ports which will only be in a single VLAN can be untagged or tagged. I usually do untagged.

To span a VLAN across two switches, you need to make sure the VLAN ID is the same between the two switches, and that the ports that are connecting the two switches together are members of each VLAN that is going to span the switches (which of course means those ports need to be tagged, not untagged, if you are spanning more than 1 VLAN that way).

A for trunking, I do not believe you can take two links from two different switches and trunk them. I may be wrong, though.

For harder questions like that, you should be able to call the HP support number for Procurve and ask those configuration questions. All Procurve equipment comes with a lifetime warranty, and I think that includes configuration assistance.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Paul,
You need to tell a more complete story. It sounds like you want two different trunking options. 1, to trunk between switches and 2, to trunk servers across switches.

The ISL trunk is straight forward but the server trunks would need to be TLB. There are of course caveats with TLB.

If you are setting up some sort of redundant core then you need to also setup redundant routing of the VLANs.
Paul Kondilys

Les,
A little more on more story. I have 2 5308 with slot A with GB ports. I'm wondering if it's possible to have vlan1 on switch A using slot A, and another vlan1 on switch B at the same slot which also has GB ports. All my servers have dual GB NICS, and would really like to plug one NIC into slot A on switch A, and the second NIC on switch B, slot A. This way I can have some kind of redundancy I'm hoping. This sound right?

Thanks Guys
Paul Kondilys

forgot to add guys...if i setup the same vlans on switch B, with the same VID, I'm assuming that I have to setup the same IP address for the vlan? Or No?