Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1754020 Members
7646 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

2 different blades in same enclosure talking to 2 different networks.

KB17
Occasional Contributor

2 different blades in same enclosure talking to 2 different networks.

I have a HP C7000 Blade Enclosure that has a HP 1 GB ethernet Passthrough Module.
I have 2 different servers in the enclosure that need to talk to 2 different networks.
For example.
Server 1
10.10.1.x
and
Server 2
10.10.2.x

All the servers connect when I plug them into the 10.10.1.x network, but when I plug a server into the 10.10.2.x network it says the network cable is disconnected.

Is this possible to do? Do I need to change something in the Blade Enclosure Interconnect bays, shared interconnect settings??

Currently that is setup to talk to the 10.10.1.x network.

5 REPLIES 5
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Re: 2 different blades in same enclosure talking to 2 different networks.

If you are using a pass-though module it is basically as if those blades were standalone systems. I wouldn't think that anything else in the enclosure would care.

When you say "plug a server into the 10.10.2.x network" do you mean the corresponding ports on the pass-through module connected to the external switch for the 10.10.2.x network?

With the pass-through module there will need be one cable for each server port you wish to connect.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
KB17
Occasional Contributor

I just figured out what the problem is. The Switch for the 2nd Network is only a 10/100 switch. The Pass through module is a 1 GB module. I swapped out the switch 10/100 switch with a Gig switch and the nic showed as connected again.
Weird.. I would have thought that it would be able to run at the degraded speed.
KB17
Occasional Contributor

As stated above.. Thanks for the response.

The Switch for the 2nd Network is only a 10/100 switch. The Pass through module is a 1 GB module. I swapped out the switch 10/100 switch with a Gig switch and the nic showed as connected again.
Weird.. I would have thought that it would be able to run at the degraded speed.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

The nature of the links between the blades and the passthrough module, and the passthrough module itself is such that it can only operate at 1G speeds. If you want to have 100 Mbit/s speeds out into the "cloud" then you have to use chassis switches. The blades will still talk 1G to the iomodule/chassis switch callitwhatyouwill and the switch can autosense to 100 Mbit/s.

If you further need to throttle the blades so they only ever sent at 100 Mbit/s speeds, on Linux you would use tc and netem to setup the throttle. The syntax eludes me at present, but I'm sure some web searches can find it.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

The nature of the links between the blades and the passthrough module, and the passthrough module itself is such that it can only operate at 1G speeds. If you want to have 100 Mbit/s speeds out into the "cloud" then you have to use chassis switches. The blades will still talk 1G to the iomodule/chassis switch callitwhatyouwill and the switch can autosense to 100 Mbit/s.

If you further need to throttle the blades so they only ever sent at 100 Mbit/s speeds eventhough their links were 1G, on Linux you would use tc and netem to setup the throttle. The syntax eludes me at present, but I'm sure some web searches can find it.