Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752393 Members
6859 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

2524 and 4000 all reboot simultaneously

Dave Alfred

2524 and 4000 all reboot simultaneously

We have 9 procurve 2524's and 5 4000 in the last 2 weeks, twice they have all been reboot within a few minutes of each other. The facility hasnt had a problem with power and nothing else was affect like this. Our 2524's are primarily on firmware 04.08, the 4000's 09.16. 1 2524 is on 5.22 and wasnt affected. Is this a known issue in firmware or am i batteling something else.
3 REPLIES 3
Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

Re: 2524 and 4000 all reboot simultaneously

Hi.
In all case, when you have a switch problem, you have to update them to last Firmware. I already had a similar problem with 2 switches and the update made them work properly again.

Marc
Dave Alfred

These switches are in a hospital and have worked without fail for about 2 years. We are upgrading the backbone in several weeks and i want to avoid downtime since it is diffucult to get here. It seems strange that for 2 years we had no problems then all of the sudden they all have problems, i just want to make sure we arent dealing with something else like some sort of attack.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

I vaguely remember there being a problem with some of the HP switches with SNMP. Could be you have some sort of Network Manager trying to get info from them and crashing them in the process?

Just looked up the release notes for 9.22 (4000) and they mention that 9.19 corrected a problem with earlier code where an SNMP walk of cdpCacheDeviceID using an IFIndex value of 92 (default VLAN) would crash the switch. The same release also fixed an SNMP memory leak which would crash the switch. The release notes for the 2524 show the same problem with cdpCacheDeviceID. May be the smoking gun. What do you have that is monitoring the switches with SNMP?

Go to http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/switches.htm and download the newest release then read the pdf file that comes with the download. It will tell you about all of the corrected bugs.

Ron