Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2610-24; Devices on multiple subnets can all talk to eachother -- how?

SOLVED
Go to solution
BetaPsi_
Advisor

2610-24; Devices on multiple subnets can all talk to eachother -- how?

I have what I thought was an intermediate level of understanding about networks, but that view of myself has just come into question. I have a ProCurve 2610-24 with two VLANs, 1 and 10. I have most of my devices on a 192.168.168.0/24 subnet including the HP switch. However, I just plugged a device into the switch that is on a 192.168.250.0 / 24 subnet. Oddly enough, I can access that device from my 192.168.168.x computer. I also have a 192.168.0.0 / 24 device in the switch that can be accessed from 192.168.168.0 devices. So... is the switch routing somehow? I'm a bit bewildered by this.

Thanks,
4 REPLIES
Lance Noel
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Re: 2610-24; Devices on multiple subnets can all talk to eachother -- how?

The 2610 switches do have light layer 3 functionality. If you have IP routing enabled in your config, It will allow the switch to route between Vlans.
BetaPsi_
Advisor

Okay, that's what I was thinking. Do you have any pointers about configuring the IP routing off the top of your head? I'll take a look at the manuals for specifics, but I was curious if you had any first-hand tips.

Thanks again,
Lance Noel
Occasional Advisor

In my recommendation, I would not use vlan 1 for normal traffic. I would create a seperate vlan for each network.

Unlike cisco, the port tagging is different in terminology. Cisco uses Switchport access/trunk, HP uses tagged and untagged. Untagged vlan on a port means that vlan is native (default) to that port. If you plug in a device without any vlan settings programmed on it, that is the vlan it will be attached to. Tagged vlan on a port allows access to that vlan network from that port, if the device is programmed to communicate on that vlan. a port can only be untagged to 1 vlan, but tagged to as many other vlan's as you want.

How I use it is I have a data and a voice network. Both my IP phones and my computers use the same ethernet cable into 1 switch port. I have my data vlan set as untagged on that port (to be native) and my voice vlan set as tagged. My phone are programmed to communicate on the specific voice vlan.

IP routing will allow route traffic in between 2 vlan's. You can disable this by typing "no ip routing" at the config prompt and let your router handle the layer 3 traffic. but you will have to have a router for every vlan. if you leave ip routing enabled, you can write routes for your traffic like "0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1". If you want to route between vlans, you will also have to assign an IP address for each vlan as well.

If you are splitting the switch (you can seperate cables for each device) you can take this for example:

vlan 2
name "data 1"
Untagged 1-12,25-28
ip address 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0

vlan 3
name "data 2"
Untagged 13-24
ip address 192.168.10.10 255.255.255.0
tagged 25-28

This is if you have a single route that will do dot1q encapsulation on its interfaces, such as cisco.

If you don't and have 2 programable interfaces on your router, you can do this:

vlan 2
name "data 1"
Untagged 1-12,25
ip address 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0

vlan 3
name "data 2"
Untagged 13-24,26
ip address 192.168.10.10 255.255.255.0

Then just plug the router interface with the respectable IP address into the vlan untagged port for it.

I know I am a little in debth here, afterall I am a geek, but there are many different ways you can accomplish what you are doing with the equipment you have.

I hope I shed some light here.

BetaPsi_
Advisor

Thanks a load for all of that information. I'd give you more than 10 points if I could. =)