7601 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

2626 Switch routing capabilities

Superdust
Advisor

2626 Switch routing capabilities

Hello.

I have a 2626m router witch supports IP routing.
I`m planing on using it for a small network with about 40 connected clients.

There will be 4 VLANs and one link net to connect the clients to the internet.

I know the 2626m has wery limited routing capabilities (128) but will it be able to route this network?.
4 REPLIES 4
Nico_24
Occasional Advisor

Re: 2626 Switch routing capabilities

Hello,

depends on the amount of traffic that has to be routet. Generally I would not use the 26xx series as a router. I did not really test it but I suppose it's routing capabilities are limited to something between 50 and 100mbps.

Nico
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

I think that should probably be okay since the amount of hosts on the network is under that 128 hardware table limitation.
Superdust
Advisor

The clients will only use it for internett acsess. The internet connection is 20Mbps.
What do you think?
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

The 2600 series has a routing feature for its connected Vlans plus static routing also.

If your 40 clients are on different Vlans on even in the same Vlan, then its ok.

Anyway, i don't think you need the 2600 for routing, because your WAN connection (Internet from your ISP) will be connected to a Router, so what you need on the 2600 is only a single static (Default) route to this router.

If you don't have this router, then you should have a Modem from the ISP (unless the ISP provides you a LAN connection) and in this case you need a Router to connect to the Modem, and from this router to your 2600 switch.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone