New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2626 and HP network teaming

SOLVED
Go to solution
primate_2007
Occasional Contributor

2626 and HP network teaming

Hi,

I'm new to HP switches. I have an HP 2626 switch at the access layer. I've recently configured a new server using the HP network team utility to team the two NICs together.

However the switch puts the two ports into which the server is connected into trunk mode ths meaning the packets aren't tagged with the correct VLAN tag and preventing communication. I've used the HP network utility to tag the packets from the network team with the correct VLAN tag and this allows the server to work.

However, why is the switch doing this? And how do I force it to assign the ports to the correct VLAN? They seem to disappear from the menu screen where I could do this once they become trunks.
8 REPLIES 8
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

The switch is creating a dynamic LACP trunk.

Dynamic trunks can only belong to the default VLAN.

What you need to do is create a static trunk, and then assign that trunk to whatever VLANs you require.

e.g.

2626(config)# trunk 9-10 trk1 lacp
2626(config)# vlan 10
2626(vlan-10)# tagged trk1
primate_2007
Occasional Contributor

In the line trunk "9-10 trk1 lacp" does 9-10 refer to the port number?

Thanks for your response.
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Yes it does.

Good luck!
primate_2007
Occasional Contributor

Hmm, looks like I assigned the points too quickly! lol

The switch accepts the config, but whenever I remove the VLAN tagging from the NIC team then I have no communication again.

sh lacp shows the following for the relevant ports:

23 Active Trk1 Up Yes Success
24 Active Trk1 Up Yes Success

Jaguar
Occasional Advisor

Yes, if you remove your VLAN tagging, then that VLAN will not have any communication. Assuming you want to add VLAN 20 and VLAN 30 into this team, you will need to issue

vlan 20 tag trk1
vlan 30 tag trk1

primate_2007
Occasional Contributor

Thats what I've done though isn't it? I've already tagged the traffic on the trunk - my point is that if I remove the tagging from the NIC itself then it stops working even though I thought I'd tagged the traffic on the switch (like I'd normally do on a Cisco switch). I'd prefer not to have to tag the traffic at the server as this isn't our standard configuration.
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

If you want the server to be natively (physically) in that VLAN then you want to *untag* the ports.

Generally you want to tag when you intend to carry traffic for multiple VLANs over a single link, such as between a switch and a router so both devices are aware of the traffic on the different VLANs.

And for this to work, both sides of the link must be tagged with the appropriate VLAN.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Points 1-7 do not make the bunny appear from the hat. Points 8-10 means that, based on the answer you assign points in this interval, you did the hat-trick in front of your boss (smiley :-)