New Discussion юеВ

2810 Static Routes

SOLVED
Go to solution
mwmilw
Occasional Contributor

2810 Static Routes

Hi,

We have a 2810 as the core switch in out network. Our Cisco PIX is connected to this device as well as the department switches(192.168.1.0/24). Is there a way to create subnets on this device? From CLI I am not able to set 'ip route xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' etc.

If not is there another way to do this, perhaps through VLANs?

thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: 2810 Static Routes

The 2810 does not support ip routing.

You can still create VLANs, but will need an external router if you need connectivity between them.

You can set a default gateway on the 2810 though for managing the switch if need be.

ProCurve Switch 2810-24G(config)# ip default-gateway
IP-ADDR IP address of the default gateway.
mwmilw
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. I did create some VLANs that will work just fine. Really wish I'd looked closer at the 2810 missing that feature. Ah well.

thanks
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

If your mngmnt could afford a Cisco PIX, I would push for a Cisco L3 device for inter-VLAN routing. Can't beat Cisco at routing - their routing is the real deal, not marketing.

Uplink the real router to the 2810 witch as many fiber/copper physical links as you need tied together (this is called "link aggregation"), then use 802.1Q for VLAN tagging over the aggreagted links.

Be aware, tho, that "trunking" is a different concept for Cisco vs. HP.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

If your mngmnt could afford a Cisco PIX, I would push for a Cisco L3 device for inter-VLAN routing. Can't beat Cisco at routing - their routing is the real deal, not marketing.

Uplink the real router to the 2810 with as many fiber/copper physical links as you need tied together (this is called "link aggregation"), then use 802.1Q for VLAN tagging over the aggreagted links.

Be aware, tho, that "trunking" is a different concept for Cisco vs. HP.
mwmilw
Occasional Contributor

We actually just got a Cisco ASA 5510 device in that has multiple interfaces in that will suit the needs. Unfortunately the interfaces don't run at 1000 but I'll make do.

thanks.