New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2824 Firmware Upgrade to I8.55 failed

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gonzo Granello
Valued Contributor

2824 Firmware Upgrade to I8.55 failed

All,

I upgraded (tried to anyway) a 2824 to I8.55 - that is where something went wrong. As stated in the Redme, I installed 7.64 first and rebooted the switch. Then (assuming it was successful) I upgraded to I8.55 and rebooted, now the switch is "hanging" with all lights on and the serialport say's "initializing". That's it. Two Questions: 1; what went wrong? 2; how do i recover from that? There is supposed to be a way to dowload firmware via the serial port - but that is hanging too.... Maybe there is a way to force that - however nothing stated in the manuals about how to do this. Any help will be apprechiated. Thanks

GG
most time the day i have to mask my contempt for the a-holes in charge......
12 REPLIES 12
Kell van Daal
Respected Contributor
Solution

Probably the upgrade to 7.64 went wrong, or the upgrade to 8.55 itself.
To boot the secondary image (which I hope you didn't updated at the same time) follow these steps:

- connect to the console
- Press and hold the Clear button
- Power cycle the switch
- continue holding the clear button until the test led stops flashing.
- At the => prompt type: "jp 2" to boot from the secondary image.
Gonzo Granello
Valued Contributor

Kell, you are a lifesaver. Indeed, the 7.64 Upgrade did not up the bootcode, looks like I had the right feeling when I only upped the primary..... Any ideas on how to fix that bootcode? Thanks again, and this is for HP: WHY for crying out loud is that procedere not described in the Manual or the Readme file???

GG
Kell van Daal
Respected Contributor

The I.07.64 should update the bootrom code.
Did you reboot after updating to I.07.64, before updating again to I.08.55?
As stated in the readme, this is a nessecary step.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Gonzo,
Did you by chance have I7.62 code on that switch? There was an issue with I7.62 and HP quickly pulled it.
Gonzo Granello
Valued Contributor

Kell and Les, Yes I rebooted after 7.64 but it still seems to not to bother upping the bootcode. The last version I had on that box was 7.32. I even downgraded to that again and tried 7.64 again, no result for the bootcode. That for some reason seems to be stuck.The bootrom says it is 7.x3 wich seems weired having that "x" in there, maybe it has some code on there that should not been on that box... It was a new switch when i got it..... Thanks for your help so far.

GG
Kell van Daal
Respected Contributor

After updating the switch to I07.64 and the first boot, did you watched the console? At first boot up with that software version, a screen should appear telling you the bootrom code is being updated.
And if you didn't, try booting it again, while watching the console.
Maybe an error will appear, giving more details.
The normal message should be (after a few lines of warning)

BootROM upgrade in progress...Completed
Scott_347

I have come across this same problem and followed the advice posted to no avail. After attempting the firmware updates to get to 8.55 (Following the directions given in the documentation.) I rebooted the switch and it hungup with this error:

"Decompressing...done.
0xc8fdf8 (tRootTask): memPartAlloc: block too big - 2080000 in partition 0x799bf

Initializing."

And would not get past that. I tried the "jp 2" option after trying to cycle power while holding the "Clear" button in but with the same results. I attempted to reflash the switch to the first update of 7.64 that seemed to install and work fine, but after transferring the file it errored out during the writing process (I wish I had copied the error but I decided to try again instead which now errors out on something different.). Now when I attempt to restart the switch and reflash it this way it usually just stops transferring at some point. And when I reset the switch normally I get:
"=>Flash memory needs reprogramming or chassis could be faulty.
ERROR: Unrecognized command "Flash"
=>Use a PC as the update procedure
ERROR: Unrecognized command "Use"
=>from the backup wnloading, then try replacing chassis."

I don't like the looks of that. Is there any hope for me?
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Scott,
Are you using TFTP over the network or XMODEM over the COM port? I think your problem warrants a call to HP.
Gonzo Granello
Valued Contributor

Les,

just out of curiosity, what difference does it make how the Data is transferred to the device? The problem seems that the switch has already accepted the file but then hesitates to use it or cannot execute the commands given - hence write to the flash.

As far as calling HP goes, the hassle and time I need to get that done I dont have and that is besides the aggrevation such calls create. Maybe some HP tech could invent a way solving problems raised in this forum right here?

GG