Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748051 Members
5190 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

2824 failures not shown/logged

Jens Kloch bengtson

2824 failures not shown/logged

I have a Procurve 2824, that suddenly locks up momentarily. I cannot see any errors logged in the switch.
All servers (10) are connected to this switch.
I have installed Procurve maneger, and it shows the switch as "Unreachable" when it works(!!), which might indicate "something" but i cannot come any closer to a conclusion.
The switch is just configured with IP / sub /gw, and no other fancy settings.
Spanning tree is enabled.
Any suggestions will be welcome.

Regards
Jens Kloch Bengtson
6 REPLIES 6
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Re: 2824 failures not shown/logged

Hi

Have you checked if this switch's IP is conflicting with an existing one.

If the switch is located in the same subnet or Vlan of the PCM+, then try to ping it from the PCM server, and if its located in a different subnet or Vlan, then check the gateway settings on the 2800, and try to ping the gateway from the switch then try to ping the PCM from the sswitch.

Did you also try to update the firmware to latest and restart the switch, and try after that to ping it from the PCM.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Jens Kloch bengtson

Hi again.
All pings suggested works fine, and the switch is in latest version, but still the switch is "unreachable" in PCM.

Regards
Jens
J Vesterdahl
Regular Advisor

Does the switch actually lock up, or is it only listed as unreachable in PCM?
PCM reports all my switches unreachable at random intervals, but the traffic on the switches is not affected.
The symptoms started in PCM2.1 when I started using sFlow (sampling) instead of RMON (stats) monitoring. I asked in this forum, but never really got a reply as to why a switch with 5% traffic load reports unreachable. I consider it bug, but since it doesn't affect performance, I live with it.
See if you can reach your switch through the web interface while it is unreachable. If you can, I bet the switch is allright.
There is always one more bug ...
Jens Kloch bengtson

I have had lockups with this switch, which is the reason why I installed PCM (trial).
Actually I have 2 switches, and the other one is shown correctly. We have just purchased another and replaced the "unreachable" with it, and it was shown OK in PCM, UNTIL i changed IP from DHCP to MANUAL IP. Then it dissappeared from PCM. If i serach for it in PCM it├В┬┤s found, but not shown in any categories.
ALL switches is reachable and manageable through the web-interface.
I├В┬┤m still confused...

/Jens
J Vesterdahl
Regular Advisor

Have you tried deleting and discovering the switch? It is not the same as rediscovering.
There is always one more bug ...
Jens Kloch bengtson

Yes I have tried to delete an discover again.
Newest development:
I performed an "erase startup-config" on the switch I initially had problems with, and vo├Г┬нla it is shown in PCM and seems to work OK.
The new switch suddenly also was shown in PCM. ALL switches are now running static IP.
Thanks to everyone participating in helping me with this problem.
PS: I haven├В┬┤t wasted money on the extra switch, because we were about to purchase one anyway.....

Regards
Jens