Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752798 Members
5964 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

2900-24G switches keep failing.. normal?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Castle
Advisor

2900-24G switches keep failing.. normal?

Hi All,

We've used HP switches for years and have quite a few. Over the last 4 months we have bought 5 x 2900-24G switches. So far we've had 3 hardware failures. One was a dead port the other two are complete switch failures. So far it's taken months to try to get some working switches and we're pulling our hair out. So...
A) Is anyone else getting a high failure rate on these switches or are we just very unlucky?
B) Is there a method of escalating this with HP as this is costing is a fair amount of lost time and money on a new customer rollout, not to mention making us look bad in the eyes of our customer. Our customers are starting to question our choice in HP.

I'm starting to wonder if these switches are just badly designed PCs, given the huge (for a 1U switch) power requirement.

Thanks - Mark
6 REPLIES 6
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: 2900-24G switches keep failing.. normal?

Hi Mark,

For these other 2 failures can you describe them in more detail? i.e. was it a power supply failure?

Also, how have you been getting them replaced? Through HP support for an exchange unit, or DOA? Usually getting an exchange unit should happen next day if logged through HP support. DOA through your reseller/distributor does take longer.

I would recommend you contact HP support about this and follow this matter up that way, and ask for it to be escalated if necessary.

Matt
Mark Castle
Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The two failures were quite likely power supply failures.. eg plug a power cable in and there was just nothing at all, no fans, no lights and no response.

We've been sending them back through the reseller we bought them from.. hence taking a long time. The first switch we bought 4 months had the dead port, we received a replacement (after a very long wait). The replacement unit failed after 3 days in a rack, so we sent it back for a replacement which we received two days ago (another reall long wait). Yesterday another one from a batch of 4 we bought failed. I'm beginning to think i've made a bad mistake :-(
Mark Castle
Advisor

Thanks to Matt, i logged a fault through HP support (when I finally got through after ringing 5 times, waiting for 10mins then getting cut off). Will wait and see what their warranty replacement service is like now.
Interestingly i was told that
switches < 1 month old get replaced with brand new hardware
switches > 1 month old get replaced with refurb hardware.
Luckily the last one to fail is still only officially 2 weeks old. Not that i'd accept 2nd hand gear anyway.
Mark Castle
Advisor

This just gets better. After logging a call with HP Friday, we got a reply today.

Friday i was told that if the switch was < 1 month old i would receive a brand new replacement (as would be expected). However, they are now telling me that they will only send a refurb unit. If i want a brand new unit then i have to go back to my dealer !!!!! Why? It's dead, it doesn't work and it was brand new, i've paid full price. If i wanted 2nd hand goods (dodgy goods that have been fixed i might add) i'd have bought the darned thing off ebay! Why am i having to jump through hoops.
I have to say, i'm getting thoroughly sick of HP. The chap on the phone wouldn't let me speak to his superior and wouldn't budge.

Not good.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear that. I know it seems crazy but to get a guaranteed brand new unit it needs to be DOA'd through your reseller - which unfortunately takes longer. (At least that's how it works in Australia).

Personally, I have no problem with re-furb units, they're still covered by the same lifetime warranty and undergo the same checks as a brand new unit would.

In this case, since it's regarding 2900-24G's which are relatively new, there is a good chance that you will get a brand new unit anyway (Very possible that not enough defective parts have been returned for refurbishment).

I would see how the replacement unit goes for you, if you have any further problems though, call HP back and try getting your case put through to the customer satisfaction team.

One other thing, since it appears that power supplies have been failing, have you considered the 620 Redundant/External Power Supply?

Matt
Mark Castle
Advisor

Hi Matt,

We were put off by the seemingly crazy prices of the "620 Redundant/External Power Supply" units. I was bowled over that the power supply cost more than the switches themselves.

Just an update to this, our reseller sorted this out after we got the code from HP... got a switch next day. Great service from hardware.com :-)

Cheers - Mark